Occupational Therapists work with children, young people and their families to help them be more independent with everyday activities, such as self-care, schoolwork and play.
We support children and young people with additional needs and their families when it is challenging for them to do day to day tasks, such as handwriting or dressing themselves on their own. We carry out assessments and provide intervention and advice where needed. We work in a variety of places such as clinics, schools and at home.
We aim to enable each child and young person and their family to discover how much they can do for themselves.
How to contact:
- North Team: Children and Young People’s Therapy Centre, 48 Blackwin Street, Gorton Manchester M12 5JY tel 0161 230 0301
- South Team: Baguley Clinic, Hall Lane, Baguley, Manchester M23 1NA tel 0161 445 1259
We are available Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Who can be referred:
- Children and Young People with additional needs age 0-18
- Children with a Manchester GP
Who can refer:
- Health professionals working for the Children’s Community Health Service who have active involvement with the child
- Occupational Therapists
- Hospital paediatricians
If a child or young person has previously been known to the Occupational Therapy service referrals can be made from:
- Parents or carers
How to refer:
- By EMIS internal referral – for Manchester Local Care Organisation staff only
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post to Baguley Clinic, Hall Lane, Baguley, Manchester M23 1NA
National Support Information
Autism is a leading UK charity; their website provides information and support for people with autism and their families.
Scope is a disability equality charity, providing practical information and emotional support where it is needed.
Contact is a charity for families with disabled children, providing support, guidance and information.
Information and support on Down’s Syndrome
The dyspraxia foundation is a country wide charity providing information and advice on dyspraxia.
A charity to promote understanding of all aspects of brain injury and provide information, support and services to survivors, their families and carers.
Local Support Groups
A range of useful resources, information and activity ideas for children with additional needs.
Handwriting activity ideas and advice.
An activity idea search engine for children’s occupational therapy activities. Matching skills you want to work on, with materials you have, to a detailed occupational therapy treatment activity.
A website with visual guides of how to tie shoe laces.
Matching toys to upper limb therapy goals for children with cerebral palsy
Sensory processing strategies