The Children's Asthma Service offers a multi-disciplinary and multi-agency approach to providing a holistic and co-ordinated management, education and support package of care to the child and family with asthma, recognising social, cultural and spiritual differences.
The overall aim of the service is to provide access for children to asthma trained nurse specialists, delivering high quality care management and information regarding asthma, in line with best practice and the latest evidence (BTS 2016). The service is correctly working toward NICE Standards for Quality standards for asthma (2013). The Nurse Specialist will work in partnership with the family in deciding treatment pathways and developing an agreed self-care package.
The asthma service is based at Longsight Health Centre.
Asthma Clinics are held in the South, Central and North Manchester as below by appointment only.
Abbey Hey Clinic
Chorlton Health Centre
Longsight Health Centre
Charlestown Health Centre
Newton Heath Clinic
Northenden Health Centre
Wythenshawe Forum Clinic
For more information and/or to arrange an appointment please contact the Children’s Asthma Service on: 0161 248 1226
Monday – Friday 8.00am – 5.00pm (excluding bank holidays)
Children’s Asthma Service
Longsight Health Centre
Tel: 0161 248 1226
Part time staffing:
Jane Beckett – Team Leader Specialist Nurse
Helen McGrath – Specialist Nurse, Sister
Asthma Nurse Specialist referral criteria.
Please speak with your GP, School Nurse or Health Visitor to arrange a referral to the service. You are welcome to phone the service for any advice and support during office hours.
- Child experiencing frequent or persistent symptoms of asthma or where symptoms are suggestive of asthma. (if two or more admissions/A/E attendances).
- More than two courses of oral steroids over 12 month period.
- Child prescribed asthma medication still symptomatic.
- Child frequently missing school/nursery due to asthma.
- Where the child and family require further education/support.
- Complex circumstances.
- Early discharge from general paediatric consultant from outpatients clinic to help aid support the child and family prior to discharge to GP.
Team Leader Children’s Asthma Service
Telephone 0161 248 1226 Fax 0161 248 6267. For health professionals who are referring to the service remember to add on referral form “Asthma service” and then tick the box . Email email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asthma Service Leaflet
- Information Leaflet
- Step Down Acute Plan
- Asthma Control Test
- Inhaler sheets
- Asthma UP Management Plan
- Guidance steps to manage your childs asthma type symptoms (wheeze, cough, shortness of breath)
Awards / Recognitions:
Innovation – e-Learning Programme for Health Professionals
Poster award for runner up ‘E-Learning for Health Professionals’