The Children's Epilepsy Nursing Service is responsible for all children with a diagnosis of epilepsy within Central, South and North Manchester. The team consists of two Children's Epilepsy Specialist Nurses, who work closely with Consultant Paediatricians, Community Paediatricians and Paediatric Neurologists across Manchester.
- The child / young person must have a diagnosis of epilepsy from their Paediatric Consultant or Paediatric Neurologist.
- The child, young person and family require additional information/advice and/or support.
- There are concerns regarding concordance with medication, seizure management, education.
- The child/young person aged 0-19 year olds must be in full time education and under the care of a Consultant Paediatrician or Paediatric Neurologist.
- Young person aged 16-19 year olds with additional complex health care needs
- The parent/legal guardian must be aware of the referral and give their consentReferrals:
- The Child, young person must have a confirmed diagnosis of epilepsy
- Must fully complete a referral form and confirm that consent has been obtained.
- Referrals from Consultant Paediatrician or Consultant Neurologist must indicate that consent has been obtained.
- Self referrals: the nurse is happy to discuss any issues relating to your child’s epilepsy. This can be via telephone, home visit or clinic appointment. We can help determine what support can be offered or direct to the appropriate service.
Please send all referrals to – cmm-tr.ChildrensEpilepsyTeam@nhs.net
North, Central and South Manchester (Community based)
The service operates Monday to Friday 7.30am – 5.30pm
Children’s Epilepsy Nursing Team, Charlestown Health Centre, Charlestown Road, Blackley. Manchester. M9 7ED
Tel: 0161 741 2032
The team are currently working on our Transition/Discharge pathway to ensure the young people feel empowered to manage their own condition (optimising health and improving concordance to their management plan).
Awards / Recognitions:
Carolyn Taylor was nominated for the 6th Anniversary Awards Rising Star.
We have developed a Peer Review Proforma that the teams within the CCNT have adopted.