Dr Handrean SoranConsultant Physician and Endocrinologist
Dr Handrean Soran MSc, MD, FRCP is Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist with a specialist interest in lipidology, atherosclerosis, cardiovascular risk, parathyroid, calcium and bone metabolism. He provides a tertiary centre service for lipoprotein disorders, as well as calcium and metabolic bone diseases. His research work is mainly focused on cardiovascular risk, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) quality, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) functionality, micro- and macrovascular complications in diabetes and obesity and the effect of metabolic surgery induced weight loss.
Dr Soran acted as the UK chief investigator for more than 15 clinical trials and principal investigator for more than 20 clinical trials and studies. He also acted as a member of the steering committee of many large multinational randomised control trials. He is currently a member of the steering committee of two RCTs and the executive committee of the European Atherosclerosis Society’s Familial Hypercholesterolaemia Collaborative Studies (FHSC).
Education / academic qualifications
- MRCP diploma from Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh in 1998.
- Specialist training certificate in endocrinology and diabetes in 2006.
- MSc in diabetes and endocrinology from the University of Liverpool in 2006.
- MD from the University of Manchester in 2011.
- Elected as fellow of the Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh in 2009.
Areas of research interest
- Lipidology, genetic dyslipidaemias, low-density lipoprotein quality, high-density lipoprotein functionality in diabetes and obesity.
- Micro- and macrovascular complications of diabetes and obesity and the effect of metabolic (bariatric) surgery induced weight loss.
- The impact of bariatric surgery-induced weight loss on Cardiometabolic status, atherosclerosis, vascular Inflammation and lipoproteins.
- Cardiovascular risk assessment and cardiovascular risk factors.