The Northern Sexual Health, Contraception & HIV Service is a partnership led by Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, together with the University of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust (UHSM) and Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust (PAHT). In 2016, this partnership was awarded the contracts for providing integrated sexual and reproductive health services across the city of Manchester, and also for the boroughs of Stockport, Tameside and Trafford.
The new integrated service will offer routine, intermediate and specialist sexual and reproductive health provision including the testing and treatment of sexually transmitted infections, contraception and emergency contraception.
All clinic locations, opening times and contact telephone numbers remain the same.
The service also provides easily accessible clinical advice and support to a range of health professionals including GPs, practice nurses, pharmacists, and other contraception, sexual health and HIV teams across Greater Manchester. The Hathersage Centre, the main hub of the service, co-ordinates postgraduate training for health professionals from across the North West.
We are committed to providing friendly, confidential and accessible services that include:
- Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV
- All methods of contraception
- Emergency contraception
- Free condoms
- Pregnancy tests
- Abortion information
- Dedicated services for young people under 25 ‘FRESH’ – details at fresh4manchester
- Reproductive health advice and referral
- Post exposure prophylaxis (PEP)
In addition to our walk-in clinics we also provide specialist services, many of which are by appointment. These include:
- Psychosexual counselling
- Menopause care
- Treatment for uncomplicated sexually transmitted infections
- Outreach contraception services for clients with special needs
- Highly specialised contraception
- IUD and implant clinics.
For details of the pharmacy emergency contraception scheme, please contact NHS Direct on 111.
Please note we do not provide smear tests – these are available at your GP surgery.
Support for health professionals
- Professional telephone hotline for advice for health professionals -0161 701 1555
- Teaching and training at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and for medical and nursing staff – this included clinical placements and local update courses -for further details contact the Regional Training Office on 0161 701 1539.
We’ve listened to your feedback regarding the booking-in process and have changed our walk in services to online appointments at some of our sites.
Appointments will be available Monday – Saturday and will be available to book from midday the working day before (excluding weekends and Bank Holidays) and we have implemented an online booking system at specific locations.
- The Hathersage Centre, 280 Upper Brook Street, Manchester, M13 0FH – Tel:0161 701 1555
- Withington Community Hospital, First Floor, Nell Lane, M20 2LR – Tel:0161 217 4939
- Orange Rooms, Ashton Primary Care Centre, Ashton-Under-Lyne, OL6 7SR – Tel:0161 342 7101
- Urmston Clinic, 74 Princess Road, Urmston, M41 5SQ – Tel:0161 749 1160
- Choices Centre, 1 Highbank Side, Stockport, SK1 1HG – Tel:0161 204 5888
The Hathersage Centre, 280 Upper Brook Street, Manchester M13 0FH, tel: 0161 701 1555
Withington Community Hospital, Nell Lane, Withington, M20 2L, tel: 0161 217 3553
Forum Health, Simonsway, Wythenshawe, M22 5RX, tel: 0161 435 3509
North and East Manchester clinics
Cheetham Primary Care Centre, 244 Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester M8 8U, tel: 0161 202 8795
Newton Heath Sure Start Centre,1 Great Newton Street (off Droylsden Road), Manchester M40 1GX, tel: 0161 672 0200
Harpurhey Health Centre, 1 Church Lane, Harpurhey, Manchester M9 4BE, tel: 0161 861 2400
Choices Centre (for all age groups), 1 High Bank Side Road, Stockport SK1 1HG
Central Youth (for under 25s only), 1 St Peters Square, Stockport SK1 1NZ
Orange Rooms, Ashton Primary Care Centre, 193 Old St, Ashton-under-Lyne OL6 7SR, tel: 0161 342 7101
Urmston Clinic, 74 Princess Road, Trafford M41 5SQ, tel: 0161 749 1160
Talkshop, Sale Waterside, Tatton Road M33 7ZF
Partington Health Centre, Central Road, Partington M31 4FL
For information on opening times, please call 0161 749 1160 or e-mail email@example.com
For more information about services, call the Patient Advice Line, tel: 0161 701 1555/0161 217 3553 (weekdays 2.30pm – 3.30pm) or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A comprehensive range of Information leaflets regarding all methods of contraception and sexually transmitted infections is available at www.fpa.org.uk/helpandadvice/contraception.
- Family Planning Association
- The Northern Contraception, Sexual Health & HIV Service