Galaxy House is a 12 bedded Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) in-patient unit located on the ground floor of the Harrington Building situated adjacent to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital. It provides specialist inpatient CAMHS for Greater Manchester, Lancashire and South Cumbria and consultation and advice to referrers.
Galaxy House is accredited both with the Quality Network for Inpatient CAMHS (QNIC) and the Quality Network for Eating Disorders (QED) under the auspices of the Royal College of Psychiatry. It is staffed by multi-disciplinary team comprising of
- Nursing (qualified mental health children’s nurses and nursing assistants)
- Occupational Therapists
- Systemic Therapist
- Teaching Assistants
In addition to its 12 beds (all single rooms with 2 en-suite) Galaxy House has living, dining, therapy and outdoor space. It also has its own school provided across 3 classrooms within the Building, which provides National Curriculum education from 9.30am to 3.15pm each weekday by staff from Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital School.
Referrals are accepted from local CAMHS.
What conditions do we treat?
Galaxy House treats children and young people with
- Severe Eating Disorders
- Pervasive Arousal Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS)/Severe Psychosomatic conditions
and children up to the age of 13 with
- Neurodevelopmental difficulties and/or any mental health problem severe enough to require specialist in-patient assessment and treatment (e.g. early onset psychosis, obsessive – compulsive disorder, depression).
What treatments do we offer?
Galaxy House provides the following treatments
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
Cognitive Remediation Therapy (CRT)
Family Therapy (various models)
Where will my child receive treatment?
Treatment is provided within Galaxy House. When clinically indicated assessments may be undertaken at home prior to admission and in preparation for discharge.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists
Dr. Ruth Marshall
Dr. Rachel Elvins
Dr. Karolina Szumanska-Ryt
Consultant Clinical Psychologist
Dr. Paul Abeles.
Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital
- Galaxy House (CAMHS Inpatient Unit) 0161 701 5197
- CAMHS Academic Department 0161 701 4512 (Main Reception)
- Galaxy House School Office 0161 701 5118