University of Manchester medical students
Students currently studying Medicine at the University of Manchester are invited to attend the Mortuary to observe post-mortem examinations. It is hoped that these sessions will equip students with a better understanding of anatomy, and demonstrate the role of the Pathologist for those potentially interested in pursuing a career in the area.
First and Second year medical students are able to book a teaching session in the Mortuary via the Medlea website – www.medlea.manchester.ac.uk
Third and Fourth year medical students should telephone the Mortuary directly on 0161 276 4476 to book a teaching session on a Monday or Wednesday.
Nursing, auxiliary and support staff
Teaching sessions for nurses and support staff have now been replaced with a tour of the Adult Mortuary. This tour has been designed with those in mind who are involved in the care of the deceased on the wards, or trainee nurses wishing to attend alternative departments as part of a “spoke placement”.
Our tour will cover all areas of the Mortuary including the Viewing Suite and viewing gallery for the post-mortem room. There will be demonstrations and explanations of mortuary procedures, and the opportunity for staff to ask any questions they may have about the service. We believe that this tour will reinforce good practice on the wards, and give staff confidence in the Mortuary service.
The following staff members are eligible to attend an educational tour of the Mortuary:
- Final year student nurses from the Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Salford or University of Manchester on placement at the Manchester Royal Infirmary
- Final year Cardiac Technologists on placement at the Manchester Royal Infirmary
- Final year Operation Department Practitioners on placement at the Manchester Royal Infirmary
- Qualified nurses and ODPs directly involved in the Care of the Deceased currently working for CMFT in adult services
- Care Support Workers/Healthcare Assistants, Assistant Practitioners, or any auxiliary staff directly involved in the Care of the Deceased currently working for CMFT in adult services
Please send an e-mail to email@example.com stating your role, and where in the hospital you are currently working to register your interest in a tour.