Our clinical practice includes many types of arthritis, particularly rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, polymyalgia rheumatica, gout and pseudogout.
The connective tissue diseases include systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), systemic sclerosis and vasculitis. We also treat patients with metabolic bone diseases such as osteoporosis and Paget’s disease.
We run combined clinics in paediatric rheumatology and have established multidisciplinary links or combined clinics with several other departments. We are an active department in medical student teaching and in clinical research and have established a specialist clinic in early inflammatory arthritis and run a well established nurse-led biologic drugs clinic. During 2016 we plan to enhance our service further by providing our own diagnostic ultrasound service and by establishing specialist physiotherapist-led ankylosing spondylitis clinics.
The diagnostic tests and services we provide include:
- Clinical history and examination
- Full range of laboratory blood tests
- Joint fluid analysis
- Radiology: immediate plain X-Rays; MR, CT and ultrasound scanning by musculoskeletal radiologists
- Nurse helpline advice
- Access to investigation day case ward for treatments
- Joint and soft tissue injections
- Annual review clinics for inflammatory arthritis
- Drug treatment including nurse-led and specialist pharmacy led treatment counselling clinics
- Specialist physiotherapy service
- Access to hydrotherapy
- Occupational therapy
- Podiatry and surgical appliances
- Optional involvement in a variety of clinical trials
- Hospital based clinics at Wythenshawe Hospital and Withington Community Hospital
- “Tier 2” community based services at Withington Community Hospital and the Forum, Wythenshawe