Henshaws believe that everyone has the right to an independent and fulfilling life. Their support, advice and training enables people and their families build skills and develop confidence.
The Patient Support Service at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital supports individuals to cope with the emotional and practical difficulties that a sight loss diagnosis can bring, right at the moment they need it most.
Henshaws Patient Support Officers ensure those recently diagnosed have a better understanding of their eye condition and the support that is available to them such as equipment, services and benefits. Our volunteer help desk and Patient Support Officers are at MREH five days a week.
Henshaws Patient Support Services offer:
- Someone to talk to in confidence
- A quiet meeting place in the hospital
- Support during your appointment and a link with your consultant if you need to know more, or need something explained further
- Medical information explained in a clear way that’s easy to understand
- An opportunity to discuss your concerns
- Information about practical help, advice on local services, equipment and benefits
- Help with the registration process
Henshaws also offer children’s patient support once a week at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital.
Taking your child to the hospital can be an unsettling and confusing experience for parents as well as for children. That’s why Henshaws have a Family Support Officer based at the Paediatric Clinic of the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, available every Tuesday. Henshaws Family Support Officer is there to:
- Offer emotional support
- Speak to the ophthalmologist on your behalf
- Give you support during your appointment
- Explain anything you may not understand
Access our services
You don’t need to have a referral to access the service – it is open to all. To arrange an appointment or find out more, contact our Patient Support office on 0161 276 5515.
Our Patient Support Officers may be with someone when you call, so please leave a message and they will get back to you.
Henshaws is located on the ground floor of Manchester Royal Eye Hospital.
From the entrance of the Eye Hospital walk past the main reception through the atrium, Henshaws is at the back of atrium on your right hand side.
To find out more about Henshaws and what they can offer you, please visit the Henshaws website.
Henshaws Knowledge Village
Henshaws also offer support online through their Knowledge Village; a place to share knowledge and expertise with those experiencing or working with sight loss and disability.
In the Knowledge Village you can explore blogs, eBooks and over 80 videos. Themes cover accessibility, apps, benefits & support, entertainment & art, children & young people, daily living, life hacks, and products & technology.