The coloproctology and stoma care team provides a service covering the following specialties:
- Colorectal cancer – The department has a database for colorectal cancer
- Presence at cancer diagnosis and explanation of treatments and investigations
- Key worker role for all colorectal cancer patients
- Participation in the multi-disciplinary team
- Stoma care – Pre-operative preparation, inpatient education and preparation for discharge
- Provision of stoma care products
- Stoma care management for the Trafford community
- Written and verbal information for stoma management, with a named nurse contact
- Patients with inflammatory bowel disease requiring surgical intervention
The department is further involved with the education of Junior Doctors and Student Nurses as well as ward meetings and study days. It is also a source of expert information for other healthcare professionals.
The department works closely with the consultant surgeons who have a special interest in the specialty.
If you have any questions or for more information on the coloproctology and stoma care department please contact:
Tracey Purcell, Lead coloproctology/stoma care specialist nurse
Yvonne McGrath, Coloproctology/stoma care specialist nurse
Julie Higginson, Assistant Practitioner in stoma care and Enhanced Recovery support nurse.
Tel: 0161 746 2323 (answer phone available)
We are available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
We are based at Trafford General Hospital, but also work throughout Trafford community to serve all ostomates, seeing new ostomates and housebound patients in the community and established patients in stoma clinics. We run clinics at both Trafford and Altrincham Hospital by appointment only.