Dr Klaus IrionConsultant Chest Radiologist
Medico, MTCBR, PhD, FRCR
Lung Cancer Imaging, COPD Diffuse Interstitial Lung Diseases, Imaging Quantification, Medical Education
Training and qualifications:
• Accounting Assistant (Auxiliar de Escritorio): Instituto Porto Alegre, Brazil, 1980
• Medical Diploma: Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 1987
• Specialist Training: Irmandade da Santa Casa de Misericordia de Porto Alegre (ISCMPA), Brazil, – 1992
• Fellow Brazilian College of Radiology (Membro Titular CBR), Brazil, 1996
• Doctor in Medicine (Ph.D.): Chest Medicine, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 2000
• Equivalence MD, CCST specialist in Clinical Radiology – Specialist Training Authority (STA), UK, 2003
• Fellow of The Royal College of Radiologists, UK, 2008
Short term Visiting Fellowships:
Computed Tomography: HCPA (Porto Alegre, Brazil) – Prof Darcy Ilha;
Thoracic Imaging: University of California San Francisco (California, USA) – Prof
Gordon Gamsu and Prof Richard Webb;
Thoracic Imaging: University of British Columbia (Canada) – Prof Nestor Muller.
Previous working experiences:
Irmandade da Santa Casa de Misericordia de Porto Alegre and Irion Radiologia: Specialist training and Consultant Radiologist (1988-2003)
Pennine Acute Trust: Consultant Radiologist with special interest in Thoracic Imaging (2004-2006)
Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital and Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals: Consultant Chest Radiologist, Clinical Lead and Interim Clinical Director (2006-2016).
Fellow British Institute of Radiology
Honorary Member of Sociedade Gaucha de Radiologia
Medical Societies Membership and Posts:
British Institute of Radiology: Member; North of England Committee Member; former chair of North of England BIR Branch.
Sociedade Gaucha de Radiologia (SGR-Brazil):
Former scientific committee member; former president.
Medical Council of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil: former committee member.
Memberships: RSNA, ARRS, BSTI, ESTI, IASLC, ERS, ESR.
Papers in Medical Journals:
Please refer to Scopus Author ID 16402030100
Researchgate: Klaus Irion
Book Chapters in medical books: 31
Presentations in Congresses or Meetings: > 250 lectures presented as guest speaker.
Organisation of Congresses and Meetings: 25
Secretary: Lisa Parker
Tel : 0161 276 8799
Fax: 0161 276 8583