About Vitreoretinal Services
The vitreoretinal team specialise in treating the back of the eye when a condition needs surgical intervention.
What conditions do we treat?
The team provide a variety of surgical procedures to residents of Greater Manchester and beyond for patients requiring an operation to treat conditions such as:
- Retinal detachment
- Macular hole
- Epiretinal membranes
- Complicated diabetic eye disease
- Complications after cataract surgery
- Eye injuries
What treatments do we offer?
The surgical team perform a number of retinal procedures to treat or manage a patient’s condition. This includes providing emergency surgery for urgent retinal problems, such as retinal detachment.
To support the planning and delivery of surgical care, the Eye Hospital have access to a number of ophthalmology imaging devices on site, these include:
- Digital fluorescein angiography – this examines the circulation (outside/edge) of the retina
- Fundus/Widefield Optos photography – to document retinal pathology
- ICG (indocyanine green) angiography – to enhance visualization of the choroidal layer, deep to the retina
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) – this allows a cross-sectional image of the retina to be taken
- B-scan ultrasonography – to measure the eye and identify abnormalities in the retina when the retina cannot be visualized
Who will I see?
The Eye Hospital has a large body of consultants with expertise in this area providing a high quality service to patients. The team is supported by a team of specialist nurses, optometrists and ophthalmic photographers to provide a comprehensive and patient centred service.
The Vitreoretinal Unit has a renowned fellowship training programme, which attracts ophthalmic doctors internationally to come and extend their vitreoretinal surgical skills. Many Consultant Vitreoretinal Surgeons in the United Kingdom and abroad (Spain, Italy, Greece, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia) have been trained in Manchester.
Get in touch
0161 276 1234 (Main switchboard)
- Mr Assad Jalil - Consultant Ophthalmologist, Vitreo-retinal Surgeon and Uveitis Specialist
- Mr Felipe Dhawahir-Scala - Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal Surgeon. Director of Acute Ophthalmic Services
- Mr George Turner - Consultant Ophthalmic and Vitreo-retinal Surgeon. Associate Head of Division.
- Mr Niall Patton - Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal Surgeon
- Mr Stephen Charles - Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal Surgeon. Lead Clinician in the Medical and Surgical Retina Service.
- Miss Tsveta Ivanova - Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal Surgeon