The Bereavement Care Team provides an invaluable empathic service to families at a time of extreme distress and sadness. The service provides information, advice and support for next of kin in all aspects of bereavement care.
Bereavement Care Team – Adult Services
The Bereavement Care Team for Adult Services are located in a separate building behind the Pathology Laboratory at Trafford General Hospital. Free parking is available in front of the building.
The Bereavement Care Team are available from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) via the telephone. The centre is unstaffed if no deaths have occurred at Trafford General Hospital as the Bereavement Advisors are based on the Central Manchester Site, but will be present at Trafford General Hospital from 2.00pm to 4.00pm if a death has occurred.
The team are responsible for all aspects of bereavement care, when a death takes place on an adult ward on the Trafford Site. The service provides advice, support and information for bereaved people.
Bereavement Advisors provide help and emotional support for bereaved people in the following areas:
- Arranging completion of all documentation, including medical certificates
- Arranging cremation papers when needed
- Advice and information regarding funeral arrangements
- Emotional support
- Formal counselling can be arranged for next of kin of people who die at Trafford General Hospital
- Liaising with the Coroner’s staff, police, social workers and General Practitioners (family doctors)
- Helping next of kin, where appropriate, to complete documentation and providing advice regarding help from the Department for Work and Pensions Social Fund Funeral Payment (SF200 form) and the Bereavement Benefit (BB1)
- Explaining probate and legalities following death
- Making arrangements for tracing next of kin where no next of kin is recorded in the medical records
- Arranging a funeral where no next of kin has been found
- Assisting Consultants to gain consent for Hospital Post Mortem
- Providing training and information on bereavement related issues to other staff members
Bereavement support is available from the time of death until an agreed time when the next of kin no longer require support
Complaints, Compliments and Worries
You may wish to talk things over with any of the following: your family doctor, nurse, social worker, hospital chaplain, or the hospital Patients Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).
We are determined to provide the best possible service to patients and other visitors to the Trust, and we welcome all comments on the service we provide, whether good or bad, so that we can act on these comments to improve the services we provide.
If you have any comments on the service you have experienced, you can make your comments to the person in charge of the department, or you can write or telephone:
The Chief Executive
Trafford General Hospital
Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
Contact: 0161 276 8686 and PALS@mft.nhs.uk
The Patient Advice and Liaison Service focuses on improving the services to NHS patients. They will listen to any concerns, suggestions or queries and will help sort out problems on behalf of the family.
They can be contacted on the above telephone number/s.
Meet the Team
Katie Leicester Adult Bereavement Care Team Manager 0161 701 8720 (Central Site)
Lenka Rossova Bereavement Support Co-ordinator – Reception 0161 276 8989 (Central Site)
Sheila Hunt Bereavement Advisor 0161 746 2861 (Trafford Site)
0161 276 5013 (Central Site)
Barbara Waters Bereavement Advisor 0161 276 6721 (Central Site)
Christine Nuttall Bereavement Advisor 0161 276 5944 (Central Site)
Lisa Barrett Bereavement Advisor 0161 276 6070 (Central Site)
Adult Mortuary/Viewing Suite 0161 746 2504 (Trafford Site staffed from 2.00pm-4.00pm Monday to Friday)
0161 276 4476 (Central Site Monday to Friday from 9.00am-4.00pm
Multi Faith Centre Via Trafford Hospital Switchboard – Tel: 0161 748 4022
Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) – SF200 and BB1 forms www.gov.uk – then type in search engine – ‘SF200’ or ‘BB1’
The DWP Bereavement Service number – 0845 606 0265
Trafford Register Office 0161 912 3026
HM Coroner (Stockport) 0161 474 3993
Probate and Wills www.gov.uk – then type in search engine – ‘Probate’ or ‘Wills’
Registering a Death When Someone Dies bereavement booklet
or visit the website below:
www.gov.uk – then type in search engine – ‘registering a death’
Contact the Trafford McMillan Team on 0161 746 2080
or contact the Adult Bereavement Care Team on 0161 746 2861 (Trafford) or 0161 276 8989 (Central)