Congratulations to the Eye Hospital team for their fantastic nomination in this year’s HSJ partnership Awards. They’ve been shortlisted in the Best Pharmaceutical Partnership category for innovating the delivery and capacity expansion of macular services.
In an initiative in partnership with Bayer plc in 2018, two community eye clinics were opened in North and South Manchester as part of a ground-breaking approach to deliver high quality hospital expertise for patients closer to where they live.
The innovative approach provides a number of benefits to patients:
- Expert high quality NHS care and treatment from Manchester Royal Eye Hospital staff, experienced in treating macular patients
- A convenient local community-based service
- Patient review and treatment within 60 minutes
- Free parking and excellent public transportation links
- High street locations with easy access to shopping and refreshments.
Dr Sajjad Mahmood, Consultant Ophthalmologist and Clinical Lead for Macular Services at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, said: “We have adopted this innovative approach to expand our macular service beyond the main hospital site to keep up with demand and provide more accessible services for patients.
“This development means that we’re able to see more patients in a prompt and timely way so that they gain maximum benefit from treatment to optimise their vision.
“We hope that the prominence and availability of these treatments in community locations will raise awareness of this sight-threatening condition and encourage patients to seek timely treatment.”
Winners are announced on 20th March. See the full shortlist