About Optometry Services
The Optometrists at the Eye Hospital work alongside a number of specialities and across hospital sites to provide a range of services to patients. These include:
- Refraction – sight testing
- Dispensing – provision of spectacles and specialist frames. Prescription and provision of specialist and therapeutic contact lenses for the conditions of the eye when contact lenses are clinically necessary.
- Low vision rehabilitation for adults and children
- Glaucoma assessment clinic for new and follow up cases of glaucoma and related diseases
- Optometric assessment clinic for new referrals
- Acute services – optometrists work alongside Emergency Eye Department team
- Corneal clinic co-management – optometrists work in consultant led specialist corneal clinics
- Cataract co-management – assessing patients before and after surgery
- Macula assessment clinics – looking at problems with the macula, the area surrounding the central part of the retina, at the back of the eye.
- Complex biometry – taking measurements of the eye, a procedure usually required before cataract surgery.
- Diagnostic ultrasound – to provide detailed images of the eye structure
- Community services – providing support to the community orthoptic team
Who will I see?
You will be looked after by one of our optometrists. A number of optometrists work within the department centrally at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and at our sites across Greater Manchester.
Where will I receive treatment?
The Optometry department is based at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and is located on the ground floor in clinic G.
Some of the services are located in community settings including Withington Community Hospital, Altrincham General Hospital, and the macular treatment units.
From the entrance of the Eye Hospital, walk past the main reception and clinic G is on your right hand side.
The department is open from 08:30am – 17:00pm Monday to Friday
Based at the front entrance of the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, the Opticians department dispense and supply spectacles to all the Trust’s Optometry and Ophthalmology patients as well as staff and external patients. The team have extensive experience of dealing with hospital and complex spectacle prescriptions.
Contact the team:
0161 276 5531
Monday to Thursday 08:45am – 17:00pm
Friday 08:45am – 16:30 pm