About Optometry Services
The Optometrists at the Eye Hospital work alongside a number of specialities and across hospital sites to provide a range of services to patients. These include:
- Refraction – sight testing
- Dispensing – provision of spectacles and specialist frames. Prescription and provision of specialist and therapeutic contact lenses for the conditions of the eye when contact lenses are clinically necessary.
- Low vision rehabilitation for adults and children
- Glaucoma assessment clinic for new and follow up cases of glaucoma and related diseases
- Optometric assessment clinic for new referrals
- Acute services – optometrists work alongside Emergency Eye Department team
- Corneal clinic co-management – optometrists work in consultant led specialist corneal clinics
- Cataract co-management – assessing patients before and after surgery
- Macula assessment clinics – looking at problems with the macula, the area surrounding the central part of the retina, at the back of the eye.
- Complex biometry – taking measurements of the eye, a procedure usually required before cataract surgery.
- Diagnostic ultrasound – to provide detailed images of the eye structure
- Community services – providing support to the community orthoptic team
Who will I see?
You will be looked after by one of our optometrists. A number of optometrists work within the department centrally at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and at our sites across Greater Manchester.
Where will I receive treatment?
The Optometry department is based at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and is located on the ground floor in clinic G.
Some of the services are located in community settings including Withington Community Hospital, Altrincham General Hospital, and the macular treatment units.
From the entrance of the Eye Hospital, walk past the main reception and clinic G is on your right hand side.
The department is open from 08:30am – 17:00pm Monday to Friday
The Dispensing Opticians are based at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital. Located on the ground floor immediately on the left at the main entrance.
The team are highly experienced in the dispensing and supply of hospital and complex spectacle prescriptions.
If you have been issued with a new hospital prescription and voucher you can use this here or take it to your local Opticians.
However, as prescribing and dispensing of spectacles are closely linked, it is best to have your spectacles dispensed where you have your eyes examined. It is often more difficult to resolve any problems you may have with your spectacles when prescribing and supply are separate.
The department can accept external hospital eye service vouchers but not high street optical vouchers.
The department is open Monday – Friday with regular drop-in clinics running between 9 am and 4 pm.
Due to the department being a small team and supporting busy clinics please phone on 0161 276 5531 before attending for availability and times.
Please note we can only help with spectacle queries.
Contact Lens Department
For hospital patients wanting to order lost or replacement contact lenses you can email us at email@example.com.
Alternatively, you can leave a message by calling our voicemail only line 0161 276 5535 clearly stating your name and number.
For all appointment enquiries please phone 0161 276 5533 (option 3).
The department is open Monday – Friday.
Manchester Royal Eye HospitalManchester Royal Eye Hospital See location details
MREH @ AltrinchamManchester Royal Eye Hospital See location details
- Dr Robert Harper - Optometrist Consultant
- Dr Cindy Tromans - Optometrist Consultant and Head of Optometry Services