Patients may be referred by their GP or from another hospital. 14 consultants are supported by a number of specialist nurses who offer treatment, counselling and advice for patients. Inpatients are generally treated in one of the gastroenterology wards AM3 and AM4, which also encompasses the Programmed Investigations Unit (PIU).
Many patients with gastroenterological problems undergo investigations with endoscopy (camera examinations of the bowel). Click here for the endoscopy department. Many patients are referred to the X-ray department for investigations or procedures, for example liver biopsy under ultrasound guidance. Some patients may be treated at our GI Physiology unit, and gastroenterology patients may also be referred to our Nuclear Medicine department.
The Centre is committed to research, training and education. We are a tertiary referral centre and a teaching hospital, although there is no obligation for patients to see medical students or be part of trials.
The Manchester Centre for Gastroenterology and Hepatology is located in the ‘Gastroenterology, Hepatology and GI Investigations Building’ opposite main Outpatients Department (good description available on GI Physiology page)
Admission and appointments
Appointments are booked following a referral from your GP or from other consultants, and will be between 8am-5pm.
New Patient Appointment
- Dr John Mason - Consultant Gastroenterologist at Trafford
- Dr Robert Willert - Consultant Physician & Gastroenterologist
- Dr Alistair Makin - Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr Martin Prince - Consultant Hepatologist & Gastroenterology Clinical Lead at Manchester Royal Infirmary
- Dr Jo Puleston - Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr Scott Levison - Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr Joe Geraghty - Consultant Gastroenterologist with a specialist interest in Pancreatobiliary disease
- Dr Richard Hammonds - Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr Shaun Greer - Consultant Hepatologist
- Dr Katherine McWhirter - Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr Simon Smale - Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr Harpreet Dhaliwal - Consultant Hepatologist