There are three main groups of investigations, with a number of tests available in each.
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Nerve Conduction Studies and EMG
- Evoked Potential
The Neurophysiology Directorate consists of two departments, one covering adult services, located on the ground floor of MRI, the other covering children’s services, located on the first floor of RMCH. There are a small team of specialist, dedicated staff; the majority of whom work between both departments.
- Directorate Manager / Clinical Physiologist – Joanne Finnigan
- Consultant Neurophysiologist / Clinical Lead – Dr Ronan MacDonagh
- Deputy Directorate Manager / Clinical Physiologist – Sue Hargreaves
Lead Clinical Physiologists
- Lead for Video Telemetry / Clinical Physiologist – Sarah Doyle
- Lead for Paediatric Spinal Monitoring / Clinical Physiologist – Kathryn Wilkinson
- Directorate Secretary / Consultant PA – Kathryn Gaynor
- Reception / Administration RMCH – Cath McGrath
The departments are open between 8.30 and 4.30, Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours please leave a message on the answerphone.
- Tel: 0161 276 4564 (internal 64564) or 0161 267 4386 (internal 64386)
- Fax: 0161 276 6054 (internal 66054)
Tests available for adult patients
A variety of tests are available for adult patients referred from all disciplines and wards. Main tests performed are:
- Routine EEG – download leaflet
- Sleep Deprived EEG – download leaflet
- Portable EEG
- EEG Tilt Test
- Ambulatory EEG – download leaflet
- NCS and EMG – download leaflet
- Repetitive Stimulation
- Single Fibre EMG – download leaflet
- One Stop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Clinic
- Visual Evoked Potential – download leaflet
- Somatosensory Evoked Potential – download leaflet
- Thermal Threshold Test – download leaflet
- Quantitative Sensory Threshold Test
Feedback is important. We want to ensure we are giving a high quality service that meets the needs and expectations of patients and service users. Patients are given feedback cards at the time of their visit and the comments are reviewed and compiled.
Some positive comments we have received
I was seen on time which I really appreciated as I am very busy and short of time. The physiologist Tara was very pleasant, professional and explained things.
Nothing to improve I was very happy with the service.
Gentleman that was dealing with me was very calming putting me at ease even when I got upset. Thank you.
Further comments can be emailed to either