As a centre of excellence for head and neck surgery, the ENT department also takes referrals for complex procedures from throughout the country. Over 5,700 patients are treated in the ENT department each year. It also has one of the largest cochlear implant programmes in the UK.
The ENT department has close links with the ENT department at Tameside General Hospital and provides emergency weekend and out of hours cover to the residents of Tameside via Tameside Accident and Emergency department.
A new centre for Head and Neck services in Manchester
Head and Neck out-patient services, including Audiology, Auditory Implants, Ear Nose and Throat (ENT), Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, have now moved to a new facility in Peter Mount Building on the Central Manchester site. The new Manchester Head and Neck Centre has state-of-the-art equipment in new out-patient facilities.
The Manchester Auditory Implant Centre has also joined the move to Peter Mount Building from its current location at The University of Manchester. It has been renamed ‘The Richard Ramsden Centre for Hearing Implants’ to honour the founder of auditory implantation in Manchester.
The new Manchester Head and Neck Centre at Peter Mount Building incorporates:
- Audiology (Hearing and Balance) Centre
- ENT Out-patients
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- The Richard Ramsden Centre for Hearing Implants (previously known as The Manchester Auditory Implant Centre)
The new centre was made possible following a substantial donation from the HEAR (Help Ear and Allied Research) Charity that was originally set up by Professor Richard Ramsden and colleagues to promote and fund cochlear implantation in Manchester.
Manchester Head and Neck Centre
Peter Mount Building
Manchester Royal Infirmary
Visitors/patients should use the Hathersage Road entrance to the site.
Monday – Friday 8.30 am to 5.30pm
Reception: 0161 701 9434
Appointments: 0161 276 4099 / 0161 276 4367 / 0161 276 5975
Holly Spyrou – Directorate Manager: 0161 276 8992
Alex McIntosh – Assistant Directorate Manager: 0161 276 8511
Jonathon Warburton – Administration Manager: 0161 276 8609
Daniel Littler – Operational Manager: 0161 276 8609
Laura Jenkner: 0161 276 8634
Head and Neck Surgical Unit is located on the first floor of Manchester Royal Infirmary:
0161 276 4055/4051
Visiting times for both wards are 2.00pm – 4.45pm and 6.00pm – 8.00pm
Please note we do not allow flowers on the ward.
The Elective Treatment Centre
The Elective Treatment Centre is on the 2nd floor in the new part of the Manchester Royal Infirmary.
Admissions/Confirmations 0161 276 3624
Managers Office 0161 276 4059
Sister’s Office 0161 276 3625
Nurses Station 0161 276 8657
Pre-Operative Assessment Clinic 0161 276 4254
Day Case Unit: Monday- Friday7.00 am – 9.00 pm
Office: 8.00 am – 4.00 pm
Out of hours contact: 0161 276 8688
- Prof Iain A Bruce - Consultant Paediatric Otolaryngologist Professor of Paediatric Otolaryngology, MAHSC, University of Manchester
- Mr Simon RM Freeman - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Skull Base Surgeon
- Mr Kevin Green - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Implantation Otologist
- Professor Jarrod Homer - Consultant Head and Neck/Thyroid Surgeon and Otolaryngologist
- Mr Yakubu Karagama - Consultant Otolaryngologist
- Prof Simon Lloyd - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Skull Base Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer
- Mr Sean Loughran - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Head, Neck and Thyroid Surgeon
- Mr Navin Mani - Consultant Head, Neck and Thyroid Surgeon