As a centre of excellence for head and neck surgery, the ENT department also takes referrals for complex procedures from throughout the country. Over 5,700 patients are treated in the ENT department each year. It also has one of the largest cochlear implant programmes in the UK.
The ENT department has close links with the ENT department at Tameside General Hospital and provides emergency weekend and out of hours cover to the residents of Tameside via Tameside Accident and Emergency department.
A new centre for Head and Neck services in Manchester
Head and Neck out-patient services, including Audiology, Auditory Implants, Ear Nose and Throat (ENT), Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, have now moved to a new facility in Peter Mount Building on the Central Manchester site. The new Manchester Head and Neck Centre has state-of-the-art equipment in new out-patient facilities.
The Manchester Auditory Implant Centre has also joined the move to Peter Mount Building from its current location at The University of Manchester. It has been renamed ‘The Richard Ramsden Centre for Hearing Implants’ to honour the founder of auditory implantation in Manchester.
The new Manchester Head and Neck Centre at Peter Mount Building incorporates:
- Audiology (Hearing and Balance) Centre
- ENT Out-patients
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- The Richard Ramsden Centre for Hearing Implants (previously known as The Manchester Auditory Implant Centre)
The new centre was made possible following a substantial donation from the HEAR (Help Ear and Allied Research) Charity that was originally set up by Professor Richard Ramsden and colleagues to promote and fund cochlear implantation in Manchester.
Manchester Head and Neck Centre
Peter Mount Building
Manchester Royal Infirmary
Visitors/patients should use the Hathersage Road entrance to the site.
Monday – Friday 8.30 am to 5.30pm
Ear, Nose and Throat 0161 701 9434
Maxillo-facial 0161 276 4059
*Please follow the above link for the contact number and alternate contact details for Audiology
Rhinology 0161 701 3304
Otology 0161 276 3646
ENTRAC/Tier 2 0161 276 4367
Voice 0161 701 3010
Cancer 0161 276 5726
Mark Lindsay – Interim Unit Director
Kate Shepherd – Interim Operational Manager
Lucy Glynn – Service Manager
Gareth Winney – Operations Manager
Martin O’ Driscoll Head of audiology
Head and Neck Surgical Unit is located on the first floor of Manchester Royal Infirmary:
0161 276 8688 and 0161 701 5004
Visiting times for both wards are 2.00pm – 4.45pm and 6.00pm – 8.00pm
Please note we do not allow flowers on the ward.
The Elective Treatment Centre
The Elective Treatment Centre is on the 2nd floor in the new part of the Manchester Royal Infirmary.
Admissions/Confirmations 0161 276 3624
Managers Office 0161 276 4059
Sister’s Office 0161 276 3625
Nurses Station 0161 276 8657
Pre-Operative Assessment Clinic 0161 276 4254
Day Case Unit: Monday- Friday7.00 am – 9.00 pm
Office: 8.00 am – 4.00 pm
Out of hours contact: 0161 276 8688
- Mr Raj Bhalla (Clinical Manager) - Consultant ENT Surgeon & Rhinologist
- Prof Iain A Bruce - Consultant Paediatric Otolaryngologist Professor of Paediatric Otolaryngology, MAHSC, University of Manchester
- Mr Atef El-Kholy - ENT Consultant
- Mr Simon RM Freeman - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Skull Base Surgeon
- Mr Kevin Green - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Implantation Otologist
- Professor Jarrod Homer - Consultant Head and Neck/Thyroid Surgeon and Otolaryngologist
- Mrs Archana Jaiswal - Consultant ENT Surgeon and Rhinologist
- Ms Sadie Khwaja - ENT Consultant
- Prof Simon Lloyd - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Skull Base Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer
- Mr Sean Loughran - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Head, Neck and Thyroid Surgeon
- Mr Navin Mani - Consultant Head, Neck and Thyroid Surgeon
- Miss Susannah Penney (CSU Lead) - Consultant Head, Neck and Thyroid Surgeon/Otolaryngologist
- Mr Baskaran Ranganathan - ENT Consultant and Facial plastic surgeon
- Emma Jane Stapleton - Consultant Otolaryngologist and Cochlear Implant Surgeon