- We have two pharmacist clinical tutors for the Pharmacy Undergraduate programme who are shared between the University of Manchester and the Trust.
- We have one shared pharmacist post with the Centre for Pharmacy Postgraduate Education (CPPE) to promote liaison between pharmacy education and practice.
- We have one pharmacist clinical tutor for the Medical Undergraduate programme who is shared between the University of Manchester and the Trust.
- We have in-house education and training leads for both pharmacists and technical & support staff, who co-ordinate all in-house training
- We have six pre-registration tutors each year who support our pre-registration pharmacy students.
- We have a specialist education and training pharmacy technician who manages the induction for new starters in pharmacy, in-house delivery of the L2 pharmacy apprenticeship and leads on the in-house training for Pre-Registration Pharmacy Technicians.
- We have an education and training pharmacy technician who co-ordinates work experience placements, the Cadet programme in pharmacy and is the assessor for the L2 pharmacy apprenticeship.
- We have two internal verifiers, along with a team of assessors, who support the trainee Pre-Registration Pharmacy Technicians and whom are responsible for the delivery and assessment of NVQ Level 2 and Level 3 programmes.
The department has long-standing links with the school of Pharmacy at the University of Manchester; strong links to Health Education England and representatives on the North west Pharmacist and pharmacy technician Trainers Steering Group. A number of our staff lecture at the University of Manchester on a regular basis on both the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
Training and Development Opportunities
The pharmacy department actively encourages pharmacists and technicians to undertake further education.
Training available includes:
In house Training
The Education and Training Team facilitate a number of ‘in house’ education programmes for all members of pharmacy staff. Examples include:
- Local induction programme for all staff
- Yearly Moving and handling training for all staff
- We facilitate regular learning@lunch sessions in order to provide CPD opportunities for pharmacists and technicians.
- Clinical modules for our rotational pharmacists
- Pre-registration pharmacist tutorials
- Dispensing self checking training and assessment
- Leadership course
- Train the Trainer for educators
We support the following external training courses for pharmacy staff:
- The Level 3 Award in Assessing Competence in the Work Environment (QCF)
- The BTEC Professional Diploma in Dispensing Checking/ North West Framework for Checking Dispensed Items.
- The BTEC Professional Diploma in Final Accuracy Checking within Technical Services for aseptic final checking.
- The clinical diploma for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians.
- MSc in clinical pharmacy.
- Teaching qualifications such as the PGCert and a Masters of Education.
- Independent prescribing qualification for pharmacists.
- Advanced Clinical Examination Course for pharmacists.
We actively support all pharmacists and pharmacy technicians to routinely participate in training and education schemes for nurses, junior doctors and other staff groups.
We also support the pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in attending national conferences and symposia, including those provided by the Guild of Healthcare Pharmacists, the United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association and Association of Pharmacy Technicians UK.
We strongly encourage pharmacists and pharmacy technicians to network with others working in similar specialities and to participate in undergraduate and postgraduate education.