Other options to help you hear

Arrow In this section

Assistive Listening Devices

Assistive listening devices can help to improve your hearing in a number of different situations with or without hearing aids. You Audiolgost can refer you to your local Social Services department who can provide you with a selection of devices to help you around the home. These devices can be used with or without hearing aids to help you hear around the home in the following situations:

  • Hearing the phone ring
  • Hearing when someone is at the door
  • Hearing the smoke alarm
  • Hearing on the telephone
  • Hearing the alarm clock

Social Services can provide doorbells, phones, smoke alarms and alarm clocks that can vibrate or flash.  Various devices are available with a louder ringtone to let you know when your phone is ringing.

Many devices and installations are free. Speak to your Audiologist or ask about a referral to Social Services for help to arrange this.

To hear on the telephone there are telephones available with loud hands-free speakers, volume controls and loop systems available which work with your hearing aid to hear conversations on the telephone. Manchester Sensory Support Services currently provide a telephone with all these features.

Other devices which are not provided free from social services can help as well as hearing aids to hear in different situations.

Helping you hear the television

The Action on Hearing Loss Sonido digital listener can be connected to the television or stereo system. This allows you to increase the volume without disturbing others and hear better if there is background noise in the room.  It connects either through a lead to headphones you wear over your ear or wirelessly to hearing aids.

If you are interested in this device please ask your Audiologist to see how this works.

Helping you hear on your mobile, MP3 and Sat Nav

Phonak iCom: is a device that is placed around the neck and wirelessly connects to Phonak hearing aids to a range of devices. Additionally you can connect it to your television although this costs more. Please ask your Audiologist for more information. It is compatible with Naida and some Nathos hearing aids which are provided by the NHS. You may be able to get full or part funding for this system through the Access to Work scheme (for contact details see below).

Helping you hear at work, in meetings or lectures

If you use hearing aids an FM system such as the My Link+ may help you to hear in noisy places. It is worn round the neck and works by simply pushing one button to cut out background noise. This makes it sound as if the speaker is stood next to you regardless of how far away they really are.

Ask your Audiologist for details or to arrange a trial. FM systems can be purchased through the Action on Hearing Loss“Solutions” catalogue or the Connevans website and discounts may be available to some through the Access to Work scheme or through individual schools or universities.

For those caring for young children

Baby monitors are available with a high volume and vibrating alerts such as the BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor, or the Sony Classic Advanced Monitor. Vibrating pillows for parents are also available to connect to the monitors which will shake you awake if the baby cries out.

Contact social services to see if you qualify for free help, or see the Action on Hearing Loss ‘Solutions’ catalogue or the Connevans website if you wish to buy one.

Useful Organisations

Social Services

If you are having difficulty hearing the doorbell, telephone, TV, alarm clock or smoke alarm at home and require equipment to help you, then please contact your local Social Services department:

Area Contact Number
Manchester 0161 255 8250
Trafford 0161 912 4450
Stockport 0161 217 6027
Tameside 0161 342 2400
Cheshire East 01606 814 900
Oldham 0161 770 4799
Salford 0161 607 1499
Bury 0161 763 4882
Bolton 01204 337 900


If the contact information for your local Social Services department is not on this list please ask your Audiologist.

Access to Work Scheme

Access to Work can help you if your hearing loss or other disability affects the way you do your job. It gives you, and the person you work for, advice and support with extra costs which may arise because of your needs. Access to Work can pay for some or all of the equipment that it feels you need at work, or may involve adapting premises to meet your needs, or provision of a support worker.

To contact Access to Work:

Job Centre Plus (Longsight) – Tel: 0161 912 8300
Access to Work Office (North West)  – Tel: 01204 516 590 Text: 01204 516 585

For more information about how Access to Work can help you click here.

Action on Hearing Loss

Action on hearing loss is the largest charity working to change the world for deaf and hard of hearing people. Please contact them for additional information about the latest equipment and for further advice about your hearing:

Action on Hearing Loss Information Line (Freephone)

Tel: 0808 808 0123
Text: 0808 808 9000

Email: information@hearingloss.org.uk
Website: www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk

The Action on Hearing Loss Tinnitus Helpline provides support, understanding and the opportunity to ‘unload’ when you most need it.