The Restorative Dentistry Department operates three main areas. These include:
- Prosthodontics – managing broken teeth and replacing missing teeth
- Periodontics – managing all problems relating to gums
- Endodontics – managing all problems relating to root canal infections
The Restorative Dental Team specialise in caring for patients:
- requiring dental implants
- who are recovering from head and neck cancer or require trauma reconstruction
- who haven’t developed all their adult teeth
- with cleft palates
- with complex medical problems
The Restorative Dental Team also provides diagnoses and treatment planning services for General Dental Practitioners who require support for their patients. In addition, the team also works closely with colleagues in other dental and medical disciplines to provide care for patients with the most complex health problems.
If following assessment, patients do not require specialist care they may be offered treatment by Student Dentists, Student Therapist /Hygienists or Postgraduate Students as part of the University Dental Hospital’s teaching /training programmes.
The Restorative Dentistry Department is open Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm. Admission is via referral from a General Dental Practitioner. During treatment, patients need to continue to be registered with their general dentist and thus referrals from General Medical Practitioners for specialist dental care are not normally accepted.
The majority of patient care is provided on an outpatient basis. A small number of patients are managed as day case patients at Manchester Royal Infirmary.
- Professor Martin Ashley - Consultant and Honorary Professor in Restorative Dentistry and Oral Health
- Dr Suhail A Bhatti - Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
- Dr Joanne Cunliffe - Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
- Dr James Darcey - Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
- Professor Nick Grey - Professor of Dental Education and Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
- Professor Alison Qualtrough - Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
- Professor Julian Satterthwaite - Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
- Professor Kevin Seymour - Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry, Professor of Periodontology
- Ms Carly L Taylor - Consultant/Hon. Senior Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry & Oral Rehabilitation