The endoscopes can also be used to take samples as well as carry out therapeutic procedures such as the removal of polyps or gallstones from the gastrointestinal tract.
The gastrointestinal unit here at Wythenshawe is a busy unit carrying out around 7,000 procedures every year. The procedures are performed by experienced endoscopists – usually medical gastroenterologists, general surgeons, or nurses with specialist training. Occasionally trainee doctors may undertake the procedures under direct supervision of an experienced trainer with the permission of the patient. We provide endoscopy services for inpatients and through outpatient clinics.
A full range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures are carried out, including:
- Gastroscopy – looking into the gullet, stomach and upper intestine
- Colonoscopy – looking all the way around the large bowel
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy – a limited procedure looking into the end part of the large bowel
- ERCP – an endocscopy combined with an X-ray to look into the bile duct and pancreatic duct
- EUS – an internal ultrasound examination using an endoscope
- EUS and FNA – using the internal ultrasound to target abnormalities and obtain biopsies
- Enteroscopy – looking into the small intestine with either a conventional endoscope or ‘capsule camera’.
Nursing care is provided by a team of senior sisters, sisters and qualified nurses. The nurses are all experienced in endoscopy nursing and committed to providing high quality and safe nursing care. Our nursing team is led by our Nurse Clinical Lead who is also involved in the assessment of the quality of endoscopy units at a national level.
The endoscopy unit has undergone extensive refurbishment to improve patient facilities. On arrival in the endoscopy unit, your admission procedure, any preparation and discussion required prior to endoscopy takes place in a private room with en suite facilities. Patients are shown to waiting rooms prior to their procedure. Our waiting rooms are single sex, each having television, magazines and health information leaflets.
There is a dedicated recovery area for endoscopy patients to rest after their procedure.
If you have any queries at all, please feel free to telephone us using these numbers:
To speak to a nurse please call 0161 291 4892. To enquire about your appointment or booking call our Clerical Team on 0161 291 4963 or 0161 291 5971.
You can also call the hospital main switchboard on 0161 998 7070. Your call will be put through to a member of staff who will be happy to help with your enquiry.
We are in the Yellow Zone (Ground Floor) Outpatient area, within the Treatment and Diagnostic Centre. Our nearest hospital entrance is main Outpatients (Entrance B).