Gynaecology is the branch of medicine which deals with the health of the female reproductive system.
Relocation of Gynaecology Services at Saint Mary’s Hospital
In order to keep our service users and staff safe, and in line with the latest infection control and Greater Manchester guidelines, elective and non-elective appointments must take place on separate wards to minimise the potential spread of the virus.
As of Monday 12th October, 2020 the following changes will be in place;
- The Emergency Gynaecology Unit will be relocated from Saint Mary’s Hospital on Oxford Road to F16 at Wythenshawe Hospital, merging with the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit where all emergency surgery will take place.
- All planned surgery will take place at the Oxford Road site and all women will be required to self-isolate and undergo swab testing prior to admission.
- Gynaecology Outpatients currently provided from Wythenshawe, Withington, Oxford Road, Trafford and Altrincham hospitals will relocate to Withington Community Hospital.
- A dedicated Cancer referral service and outpatient procedure clinic will operate from the Oxford Road site.
- Minor procedures (without hospital admission) such as a colposcopy or hysteroscopy will now take place at the Oxford Road site to provide an outpatient diagnostics and treatment service.
- Theatres on Oxford Road will now deliver a six day elective operating service.
- Women initially treated at Wythenshawe can now choose to join the surgical list at Saint Mary’s and women treated at Saint Mary’s have the choice of going to Wythenshawe to have their pre-op appointment and surgery.
We have made these difficult decisions to ensure we are minimising the risk of transmission of COVID-19 in order to protect the safety of our service users and our staff. We thank you for your co-operation and understanding at this time.
If you need to contact the Emergency Gynaecology Unit, Ward F16 at Wythenshawe Hospital, please call 0161 291 2561.
For any other concerns please contact MFT’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0161 276 8686 or email@example.com
This care is provided by a multi-disciplinary team of specialists who have expert knowledge in their particular field of interest. Research and development in the latest clinical care and treatment is an important part of our work.
Our team provides an integrated service across Saint Mary’s and Wythenshawe hospitals. This enables us to offer our patients efficient and rapid access to the treatment of their choice in the most convenient location for them.
For example, we have been able to introduce an additional dedicated urgent gynaecological surgery list. Women initially treated at Wythenshawe can now choose to join the surgical list at Saint Mary’s and women treated at Saint Mary’s have the choice of going to Wythenshawe to have their pre-op appointment and surgery. This will ensure that surgery is not delayed or postponed, there is a less risk of any condition worsening and patients receive quicker and more convenient treatment.
Saint Mary’s is also regional referral centre for gynaecological oncology, uro-gynaecology and reproductive medicine. The unit specialises in modern, minimally invasive techniques for surgery, enabling a shorter stay in hospital plus a quicker recovery and return to normal activities.
We offer a range of specialist gynaecology clinics in:
- Emergency Gynaecology
- Gynaecological Oncology
- Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology
- Recurrent Miscarriage
- Reproductive Medicine
- Whitworth Clinic
How can I access your services?
With the exception of our Emergency Gynaecology Service, all of our services require a referral letter from either your GP or from another hospital consultant.
First class from start to finish. Very impressed with the cleanliness, efficiency, speed and treatment by hospital staff for my procedure. All caring, professional staff and I was treated with dignity and respect and even a sense of humour. I was feeling so anxious but staff made me feel 100% happy in their care. I would recommend this hospital and its lovely staff.
- Dr Muhammad Ahsan Akhtar - Consultant Gynaecologist in Reproductive Medicine & Andrology, Subspecialist in Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
- Dr Gail Busby - Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr Richard Clayton - Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist
- Professor Emma Crosbie - Professor of Gynaecological Oncology
- Dr Edmond Edi-Osagie - Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr Cheryl Fitzgerald - Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr Cathrine Holland - Consultant Gynaecological Surgeon and Oncologist
- Dr Rosemary Howell - Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
- Dr Rohna Kearney - Consultant Urogynaecologist
- Dr Kenneth Ma - Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr Kingshuk Majumder - Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr Raj Mathur - Consultant Gynaecologist and Subspecialist in Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
- Dr Lamiya Mohiyiddeen - Consultant Gynaecologist and Subspecialist in Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
- Dr Kristina Naidoo - Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr Fiona Reid - Consultant Urogynaecologist
- Dr Mourad W Seif - Senior Lecturer/Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr Karen Ward - Consultant Gynaecologist, Subspecialist in Urogynaecology
- Dr Ursula Winters - Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist