The Whitworth Clinic provides an abortion service for women who, for a variety of reasons, choose to end their pregnancy. We offer a fully confidential, non-judgemental service for women of all ages. You can be assured that you will be treated with dignity and respect.
We are happy to offer advice over the phone to women and health professionals.
We provide counselling, assessment, treatment, follow up for women considering abortion, along with an abortion service for the management of problems in pregnancy.
Abortion methods provided:
- Early medical abortion (2 stage process using tablets) – up to 9 weeks of pregnancy
- Late medical abortion (2 stage process using tablets) – up to 18 weeks of pregnancy
- Surgical abortion (operation under general anaesthetic) – up to 12 weeks of pregnancy
We also provide:
- Contraceptive services and provision. Types of contraception offered include oral contraceptive pills, implant, injection and coils (copper and hormone).
- Sexual health services, including advice and screening.
- Counselling before and after the abortion.
- Specialist service for patients with complex medical problems.
Our staff include:
- Specialist Nurses
- Clinic co-ordinator
- Scan Technicians
Where will I be seen?
Initial consultations take place in the Gynaecology Out-patient Department, ground floor, Saint Mary’s Hospital.
How can I access this service?
We accept self-referrals. To arrange an appointment directly call the Central Booking Service on the number below.
Referral by another service such as Brook Advisory or your local Family Planning Clinic may be required if your GP is outside of the Manchester area.
Health Professionals may refer via our Central Booking service or directly via phone or fax as below.
Tuesday and Thursday, 8.30 am – 5.30 pm
Wednesday and Friday, 8.30 am – 3.30 pm
Central Booking Service: 0345 365 0565
Department Telephone: (0161) 276 6283 (9.00 am – 4.00 pm, Monday – Friday)
Department Fax: (0161) 276 6085
Counselling service: (0161) 276 4319 (9.00 am – 4.00 pm, Monday – Friday)