We provide integrated clinical and laboratory genetics services to a population of more than 4 million and academic programmes in Molecular Genetics and Health Services Research. The aim of the regional genetic service is to provide a diagnostic, counselling and support service to individuals and their families with a genetic disorder affecting any body system at any age.
We provide a comprehensive service for prenatal genetics, dysmorphology, neuromuscular genetics, neuropsychiatric genetics, ophthalmic genetics, cardiac genetics and cancer genetics. Clinical diagnostic and counselling services are provided from clinics in the centre, at The Christies Hospital and in a number of district general hospitals throughout the North West of England. The unit is a major training centre for specialist registrars, scientists and for professionals from other disciplines.
It also established the first MSc course in Genetic Counselling in Europe in 1992. Genetic Medicine also incorporates the Willink Biochemical Genetic Unit which provides a service for children and young people, throughout the North West and beyond, with inherited metabolic disease.
- Professor Graeme Black - Honorary Consultant in Genetics/Ophthalmology
- Dr Kate Chandler - Consultant Clinical Geneticist
- Dr Tara Clancy - Consultant Genetic Counsellor and Lecturer in Medical Genetics
- Professor Jill Clayton-Smith - Consultant in Clinical Genetics
- Dr David Craufurd - Honorary Consultant and Senior Lecturer in Neuropsychiatric Genetics
- Professor Dian Donnai CBE - Consultant in Clinical Genetics and Head of Division of Saint Mary's
- Professor Gareth Evans - Professor in Medical Genetics and Cancer Epidemiology
- Dr Elizabeth Jones - Consultant in Clinical Genetics
- Dr Simon Jones - Willink Biochemical Genetic Unit
- Professor Bronwyn Kerr - Consultant in Clinical Genetics and Clinical Director
- Dr Fiona Lalloo - Consultant Clinical Geneticist
- Dr Rhona MacLeod - Consultant Genetic Counsellor and Lecturer in Medical Genetics
- Dr Kay Metcalfe - Consultant Clinical Geneticist
- Dr Andrew Morris - Willink Biochemical Genetic Unit
- Professor Bill Newman - Senior lecturer in Clinical Genetics