Across the two sites we have 88 cots, and a dedicated multidisciplinary team which looks after over 1600 babies each year who require medical and surgical care.
We specialise in providing care for a range of conditions such as:
• Complex renal conditions.
• Complex cardiac conditions.
• Complex neurological conditions.
• Babies requiring surgical care.
• Complex genetic and metabolic disorders.
• Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP) screening and treatment.
As well as caring for babies in our local areas, we also care for babies that need our specialist care across Greater Manchester and beyond.
Our mission statement
Our aim in Newborn Services is to provide high quality of individualised care to our babies and their families using the best available knowledge and resources.
Our babies are cared for by an expert multi-disciplinary team in an environment that is supportive of the development of the important relationships between families and their baby. The unit values every member of staff and aids their development to ensure and promote effective and safe practice.
The care and treatment of the babies and their families is paramount and is the primary objective of our Newborn Services. We aim to provide the best possible care in an environment that is appropriate for their medical, surgical, developmental and social needs. Babies and their families have every right to expect care from a highly trained and supervised multi-disciplinary team.
We respect our parents’ views and wishes and we really encourage family centred care, providing information and guidance which meets their individual needs. We acknowledge the need for parents to be involved in their baby’s care and believe that this will be achieved by mutual trust and effective communication that maintains privacy, dignity and confidentiality.
Fantastic care for our premature son on NICU for the past 2 weeks. Excellent clinical decision making, fantastic caring, empathetic staff, and so many people willing to go above and beyond the call of duty.
Newborn Intensive Care (Ward 68) is based on the 2nd floor in Saint Mary’s Hospital.
Reception – (0161) 701 2700
Each room has its own telephone number. Please ask the nursing staff for details.
The team responsible for managing our Newborn Services is:
- Dr Ngozi Edi-Osagie, Clinical Head of Division
- Chris Ashworth, Divisional Director
- Louise Weaver-Lowe, Head of Nursing.
|Dr Aparajita Basu|
|Dr Ian M Dady|
|Dr Ngozi Edi-Osagie|
|Dr Mohamed Elboraee|
|Dr Anthony Emmerson|
|Dr Edward Gasiorowski|
|Dr Ruth Gottstein|
|Dr Anupam Gupta|
|Dr Sheima Hamad|
|Dr Susan Kamupira|
|Dr Ajit Mahaveer|
|Dr Yasser Masood|
|Prof. Simon Mitchell|
|Dr Arindam Mukherjee|
|Dr Sajit Nedungadi|
|Dr Michelle Parr|
|Dr Gareth Penman|
|Dr Ranganath Ranganna|
|Dr Kristin Tanney|
|Dr Kalwa Munthali|
|Dr Asim Ahmed|
|Dr Kuldip Bakaya|
|Dr Ahmed Elazabi|
|Dr Abhijeet Godhamgaonkar|
|Dr Gopikrishna Vemuri|
We encourage you to visit your baby as frequently as possible and to stay as long as you are able to.
Other relatives and friends that come to see your baby must be with you or they will not be allowed onto the Unit. Only two people at a time are allowed to visit your baby at the cot side (one parent and one visitor) as the rooms can get very busy.
The only times we ask you not to visit are during the doctors’ ward round, which are:
Intensive care rooms 4 and 5 – 9.00 am – 11.30 am
All other rooms – 9.00 am – 11.00 am
- Dr Ngozi Edi-Osagie - Clinical Head of Division and Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Edward Gasiorowski - Lead for Bereavement and Palliative Care and Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Ruth Gottstein - Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Ajit Mahaveer - Research Lead, Saint Mary's Hospital Audit Lead and Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Michelle Parr - Mortality Lead, Consultant Neonatologist and Honorary Lecturer at Salford University
- Dr Kristin Tanney - Clinical Lead, Consultant Neonatologist and Honorary Lecturer at Salford University
- Dr Arindam Mukherjee - NICU Audit Lead and Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Anthony Emmerson - Consultant Neonatologist and IT Lead
- Dr Ranganath Ranganna - RCPCH Tutor, Deputy Regional Lead for Paediatrics and Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Susan Kamupira - Governance Lead and Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Mohamed Elboraee - Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Yasser Masood - ST 1-3 Lead, ANNP Lead and Consultant Neonatologist
- Dr Gareth Penman - Surgical Lead, HIV Lead for Oxford Road Campus and Consultant Neonatologist