What does the Allergy Centre offer?
We provide a service for the diagnosis of the full spectrum of allergic conditions, offering a unified approach to their management. This means we assess and manage all allergic problems patients may have and formulate a management plan that addresses these and takes into account their other medical conditions, with the aim to improve their health and quality of life.
We perform diagnostic skin tests, laboratory tests (blood) and challenge tests to foods, drugs, bee/wasp venoms, latex; in some patients, we offer desensitisation (or allergen immunotherapy) for bee and wasp venom allergy, inhalant allergy (or rhinoconjunctivitis) for allergens such as pollen, mites, or cats, and desensitisation to drugs such as aspirin. We also perform diagnostic food and drug challenges where appropriate.
Correct diagnosis of an allergy means we can help you take the right steps to properly manage your condition.
We accept referrals for adults and children with the following conditions:
- allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, such as pollen allergy (hay fever), allergy to animals, allergy to house dust mites
- food allergy (we do not routinely investigate food intolerances)
- insect venom allergy (bee and wasp)
- drug allergy /hypersensitivity, including perioperative anaphylaxis
- vaccine allergy
- urticaria and angioedema
- latex allergy
- mastocytosis and related disorders (excluding idiopathic MCAS – mast cell activation syndrome)