Wythenshawe Hospital is situated in South Manchester and can easily be accessed from the surrounding areas by road and public transport including bus and Metrolink service.
MFT Covid-19 Interim Visiting Policy – Friday 24th December 2021
Our updated visiting restrictions will continue to differ depending upon the level of risk associated with a patient’s pathway as set out by NHS guidance. These restrictions will also differ depending on the type of ward or unit, and whether a patient has been identified as having a specific need.
Key principles of the policy are:
- One visitor may be permitted following a risk assessment, if the assessment indicates that this can be achieved safely (i.e. low risk) and the patient wishes to receive a visitor.
- Visitors must have no symptoms or known recent Covid-19 contact or exposure.
- Visitors who have had Covid-19 infection, must have been asymptomatic for the previous 14 days.
- Any visiting should be pre-arranged or at a locally specified visiting time in order to minimise the number of visitors in a clinical area at any one time.
- Movement of visitors around the premises should be minimised.
- All visitors to Trust premises are required to abide by the Trust Protocol for the use of face masks.
- Visitors are required to comply with safety measures, including wearing a surgical face mask, distancing, handwashing and donning the appropriate PPE as identified by the clinical staff responsible for the patient’s care.
- Where specific needs have been identified, the number of visitors permitted and the length of time they may stay will be influenced by the assessed level of risk and the capacity to enable appropriate distancing measures.
In order to protect our patients and staff, visitors who refuse to comply with Infection Control requirements will be asked to leave the Trust’s premises.
Visitors are advised not to visit any of our premises if they are unwell; have a high temperature; a new continuous cough; a loss of or change to their sense of smell; or have had contact with a confirmed or suspected Covid-19 case.
Visitors who are vulnerable as a result of their medication, chronic illness, or are over the age of 70 are advised not to visit if possible.
In order to support families to maintain contact during a patient’s admission, processes have been put in place in our inpatient areas to support and encourage patients to access virtual visiting and alternative means of communicating with family and friends if they are able to do so.
In areas where visiting is restricted, our clinical staff are expected to maintain daily contact with an identified family member, as agreed by the patient or identified through a best interest process if the patient is not able to do so. The frequency of contact may be reduced if this is agreed by the patient and family.
We will continue to review the policy as new national guidance is received and in accordance with the local prevalence of Covid-19.
Thank you for your continued understanding and co-operation with these arrangements to help keep patients, staff and visitors safe.
Restricted Access to Wythenshawe Hospital
As part of our response to the COVID-19 outbreak, we are implementing the following changes to our entrances and exits at all of our hospitals within MFT, including Wythenshawe Hospital.
Security will be present to facilitate the flow of patients and visitors attending the hospital with support from the Family Liaison hub.
The following entry and exit points are accessible with Security assistance;
- Entrance 3
- Entrance 5
- Entrance 6
- Entrance 8
- Entrance 13
- Entrance 15
- Emergency Department
The address of the hospital is:
The hospital has excellent motorway links and is easily accessible from the M60 and M56.
- From North & West: exit M60 at junction 5 (A5103 / M56), exit A5103 at A560.
- From South: exit M56 at junction 3a (A560).
- From East: exit M60 at junction 4 (M56), exit M56 at junction 2.
If you are using a satnav, enter postcode M23 9LT.
Pick up and drop-off points
There are Pick Up and Drop Off areas in the front of the Main Entrance, A&E, New Cardio, Nightingale Centre, Maternity and the Outpatients Department.
Transport for Greater Manchester has a website that tells you how to access all hospitals in Greater Manchester by public transport. You will find maps of the hospitals, locations of any bus stops, rail stations or tram stops close to the hospitals, and it also displays route maps of services to and from the hospitals, which you can download and print.
A Metrolink tram line, connecting Manchester City Centre with the Airport via. Wythenshawe. The nearest stop to Wythenshawe Hospital is Roundthorn, a ten to fifteen minute walk away from the hospital’s main entrance.
Help with fares
If you are on a low income, receive benefits and need to travel to hospital to receive NHS treatment, you may be entitled to help with the cost. NHS Choices has full details of the scheme and if you are eligible. Forms are available from our Cashiers Office at Entrance 5 (Outpatients).
Park and Ride
The Wythenshawe Hospital shuttle runs from 10:30 am to 3pm, Monday to Friday. It departs from the layby between Entrance 5 and 6 towards the Oxford Road Campus (and returns) approximately every hour. This service is free for staff who hold a valid MFT ID badge. All others passengers (including patients and visitors) are required to pay £1 to the driver (cash only). You can view the timetable here.
Cycle to Wythenshawe hospital
Wythenshawe Hospital is located in a suburban area with many parks nearby, so you may find it a pleasant experience to cycle to the hospital. There are bike storage facilities for the public in front of the Outpatients Department, and the Security Office overlooks these so your bike will be very secure.
All users leave their bikes at their own risk and the Trust is not liable for stolen or damaged bikes.
Infopoint freephone telephone units
Infopoint units are auto-dialling telephone kiosks which allow the user to make free calls to any of the services featured on the unit. These are situated at all hospital entrances.You can access transport services including taxis via this service.