The centre provides three main areas of service:
Amputee and Prosthetics Service
Telephone: 0161 611 3700.
A comprehensive one stop for amputee/limb loss assessment and rehabilitation.
- The sub-regional centre provides care for patients from the whole of Greater Manchester and East Cheshire Boroughs.
- The centre has the largest specialist team of consultants. Other team members include an Associate Specialist, Counsellor, Physiotherapists, occupational Therapists, Nurses and Prosthetists.
- The prosthetic work is carried out in partnership with Opcare, a leading prosthetic provider offering innovative prosthetic technology and non-prosthetic solutions for all service users.
- Prosthetics limbs are cast, measured and manufactured on site to enable a fast turnaround for delivery.
- The centre also runs fortnightly District Clinics in Bolton, Oldham, Rochdale, Wigan, Manchester Royal Infirmary and Wythenshawe Hospital.
Referrals are received from Consultants, therapists and GPs.
Fax: 0161 611 3785.
Wheelchair Service for Manchester (North, Central and South) and Trafford
Telephone Number: 0161 611 3800
- We improve mobility, posture and seating through wheelchairs and special seating for around 11,000 users in the Manchester and Trafford areas.
- The team consist of a Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Rehabilitation Engineers and highly skilled technicians.
- The service treats all ages of people who have permanent mobility problems, providing a wide range of wheelchairs from that of an active user to those with severe postural needs.
- The team aim to provide appropriate equipment in a timely manner and work closely with schools and therapy teams.
- Bespoke, special seating is available where required and is manufactured on site.
- A mobile assessment unit is available for those who are unable to travel.
Referrals are accepted from GPs and any health professional.
Fax: 0161 611 3761.
- A satellite clinic for the service and the main Wythenshawe Hospital site, providing an orthotic service to amputees who attend the centre. This includes partial foot amputations.
- The service is accessible for both adults and children.
- The orthotist will assess, measure and fit all types of orthotic devices to include footwear, inlays, all types of joint orthoses, protective helmets and graduated support hosiery.
- A review, maintenance and repair service is available.
Referrals are accepted from GPs, any health professional and from clinicians within SAC.
Telephone: 0161 611 3724
Specialised Ability Centre