Arrow In this section

Welcome to Manchester Foundation University Hospital Trusts Specialist Children and Young Person’s Mental Health Services, (CAMHS).

We are a large CAMHS providing specialist help across Manchester, Salford and Trafford.

We work with children, young people and their families to help with their mental health difficulties. Below are the kinds of difficulties we can help with. We also work with young people to find out if they have differences in their attention and concentration, or their social communication.

We know growing up is not easy, and sometimes it’s hard to cope with whatever life throws at you and sometimes you need some help.

I’ve Been referred to CAMHS – What to Expect

Getting Help

There are lots of services who can help, and they are called Children and Young People’s Mental Health Services (CYPMHS) and are there to support you if you need it. For example, if you:

  • feel sad or like you do not want to be here any more
  • have problems with your family, friends or at school
  • hurt yourself or want to hurt yourself
  • feel anxious and scared
  • have problems with eating and food
  • have trouble talking or sleeping
  • hear voices or see things
  • feel angry or are struggling to control your behaviour or temper
  • find it hard to concentrate or get on with friends
  • have to check or repeat things, or worry about germs
  • do not like yourself or have low self-confidence

If you feel this way, it’s important you let some one knows, so they can help you to get the right support this can be: Your Carers, Teacher, Friend, Youth Worker, School/College Counsellor and or your GP.

If you feel like you cannot face someone you know to ask for help you can let the service below know and they will help you to find the right help:

If you have tried some help from CYPMH services (at school, college, online, etc) or your difficulties are affecting your everyday life and you can’t do the things you normally do. Then Specialist CAMHS may be able to help you.

Again you can ask someone you know to help you to get in touch with us, like your Carer, Teacher, Friend, Youth Worker, School/ College Counsellor and or your GP to make a “referral” (a referral is just a request for help, that has your details on name, address, contact number, and a bit about what you are struggling with) to CAMHS. Click here for more information about how to refer.

If CAMHS is the right place for you, we can offer a range of 121 talking support, Group Work, Help in School, Help to see one of our Doctors, help to get assessments to help understand what’s going on for you in a better way.

If you are struggling and need some help now you can use the services:

Emerge provide a welcoming, safe, and calm environment for young people no matter who you are or where you come from. We are encouraged to speak about what’s on our minds and how we are feeling without being judged. We are listened to, included in decision making and given opportunities to meet other young people who may have similar experiences.

At Emerge, everyone is encouraged be their own individual person.

Emerge Participation – Emerge Welcome Statement by and for Young People