Getting used to your health condition can involve:
- Finding ways to fit treatment into your life
- Learning the tricky words and names of your health condition
- Letting other people know how they can help you
- Not letting your health condition take control of your life
- Finding ways to enjoy your life despite having a health condition
We are a team of:
- Mental Health Practitioners
- Consultant / Specialist Adviser in Autism and Learning Disabilities
- Secretaries and administrators
We work with children and young people who come to RMCH and have a physical health condition.
We might see you when you come to the hospital. Or, we might see you at the Harrington Building.
How We Can Help
Physical health conditions can affect:
- Your mood
- Your relationships
- Your school work
- The things you like to do
Our friendly team can:
- Help you to understand the links between your physical health and your feelings
- Help you to get used to your health condition
- Help you manage procedures and treatments
- Help you understand and manage your feelings
- Offer you strategies to manage pain
- Offer support at school
Types of Appointments
- Assessment: Getting to know you and what’s important in your life.
- Neuropsychological Assessment: Playing games and puzzles to help understand you
- Talking Therapies: Helping you to find ways to live the life you want to.
- Group Work: Meeting other people who have similar challenges to you.
- Parent Support: Helping your parents understand how your feelings can affect your daily life
What can I do?
- Remember that you are not on your own
- Find someone you trust to talk to about how you are feeling
- Try to get into a routine of doing your treatments
- Know that your medical team are there to help
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
- Focus on how far you have come
Getting used to something new can take time.
Sometimes it will be easier than others.
Tree of Life Groups
- When you are going through tricky times, you can forget about the things that are important to you.
- Our Tree of Life group could help you to remember you skills, values, hopes, and support.
- You meet other young people who are going through similar challenges.
- We work together to think about ways to manage the challenging times that your health condition can bring.
- If you would like to hear more about our group, then ask your clinician.
The Royal College of Psychiatrists
What is a Clinical Psychologist?
People often ask ‘What is a Clinical Psychologist?’ Dr Joanna Cheng, whilst a trainee psychologist within our service, produced the following ‘Easy Read’ information leaflet in collaboration with the British Psychological Society and the Division of Clinical Psychology.
Where will my child receive treatment?
The majority of our appointments are offered on the first floor of the Harrington Building, on the Trust’s Oxford Road campus. We also offer appointments on the wards, if your child is an inpatient at the hospital, or, if you agree, we may join your child at their hospital clinic appointments.
We do offer appointments at other locations – we work at the Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia centre near to the MRI, and offer appointments at North Manchester General Hospital for HIV, at Stepping Hill, Tameside and Macclesfield for Diabetes, and at Macclesfield for Chronic Fatigue.
We can also meet or complete assessments at schools and colleges.
How to see a member of the team
A member of your medical team may ask you if you would like to be referred, or you can request psychological support yourself by asking your medical team directly. If you would like to speak to us before an appointment is made, you can contact us on 0161 701 4512 or 0161 701 4514, Monday – Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm.
Our team members
Dr Sarah Gaskell
Dr Stewart Rust
Dr Paul Abeles
Consultant Clinical Psychologist
Dr Ruth Hurrell
Dr Claire Browne
Dr Louise Robinson
Dr Catherine Taylor
Dr Jackie Nicholson
Dr Sira Sattar
Dr Sonia Patel
Dr Kate Moss
Dr Sian Trenchard
Dr Kirsty Marshall
Dr Rebecca Bromley
Dr Jane Tyler-Collings
Dr Marijke Lansbergen
Dr Rachel McCallum
Dr Joanne Murray
Dr Daniel Weisberg
Dr Jen Kay
Dr Rhian Hughes
Dr Becky Anderson
Dr John Timney
Dr Ailsa Munro
Dr Neelam Awan
Dr Neelo Aslam
Dr Hilary Lloyd
Dr Ruth Marshall
Dr Shruti Garg
Office Manager and PA to the Head of Service
PA and Medical Secretary
PA and Medical Secretary