Referral to the National Aspergillosis Centre
Patients are referred to the centre for CPA by their local specialist Consultant. We do not operate with Choose and Book; referrals must be made directly to the centre.
The criteria for chronic pulmonary aspergillosis (CPA) are:
- At least one pulmonary cavity on chest imaging with or without a fungal ball (aspergilloma) which has been present for at least three months and a positive aspergillus species test results by either serology or culture.
The Department of Health will take financial responsibility (through the National Aspergillosis Centre) for those with:
- At least two or more pulmonary cavities on chest imaging, one single unresectable cavity, and a test result showing serology or cultures indicating aspergillus species.
Other forms of aspergillosis
The National Aspergillosis Centre also diagnoses and manages patients with
- Allergic forms of aspergillosis such as Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA), Severe Asthma with Fungal Sensitivity (SAFS), Asthma Associated with Fungal Sensitivity (AAFS) and Allergic Fungal Sinusitis (AFS)
- Chronic infections such as Saprophytic Sinusitis, Keratitis, Otomycosis and Onychomycosis
- Acute infections such as Acute Invasive Aspergillosis
A consultant or GP can make referrals to NAC for non-CPA cases but MUST use NHS e-Referral.