Wythenshawe has been the centre with the highest number of lung cancer resections in the country in the last two National publications with excellent survival results (https://scts.org/outcomes/thoracic/). We have expertise in both minimally invasive surgery and complex oncological resections. Please contact us directly via switch board for further inquiries (0161 998 7070).
Highlights of the Service include…
- An established Minimally Invasive Service which includes – VATS (Video Assisted Thoracoscopic) lobectomies and lung resections, thymectomies, and diaphragm plications
- A large volume open surgical practice including complex resections, redo operations, multi-disciplinary procedures, and complex resections on cardiopulmonary bypass or ECMO (Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenating). We are supported by a first-class cardiothoracic intensive care unit
- Metastasectomy practice with the Christie Cancer Centre. We are now performing this with surgical lasers.
- Neurofibroma multi-disciplinary team meetings or MDT’s
- Sarcoma/Chest wall service – principal referrals from Christie
- 24/7 Acute Airway intervention service
- Elective Airway multi-disciplinary team meetings with Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) Surgeons
- Complex procedures with spinal surgeons, cardiac surgeons, plastic surgeons
- National Aspergillus centre with a Surgical MDT for relevant cases
- Sectored model of MDTs– with video-linking to allow two consultant presence at all MDTs
- High Risk MDT – the first of its kind nationally – to address complex cases with anesthetists, respiratory physicians, and surgeons simultaneously
- Emphysema MDT – monthly with access to surgical LVRS, Endobronchial valves
- Teaching and Training – We are involved in the education of work experience students, medical students, junior surgical trainees, and specialist registrars, and visiting consultants. We train both local and international surgical trainees to a high standard giving them exposure to a wide range of thoracic surgical procedures with both didactic and hands-on surgical exposure. If you wish to inquire about training opportunities please contact our education lead (Mr. Rammohan)
- Invited Experts – We maintain close connections with Thoracic Surgeons both nationally and internationally. Experts are invited to give lectures, proctorships, and surgical demonstrations and for educational events.