MFT currently employs more than 45 PAs, based in AMU, AMRU, Cardiology, Cardiothoracic/Transplant, Elderly Care, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Respiratory, Urology, Vascular Surgery, NICU, Geriatrics, Burns & Plastics, Breast, Endocrinology, ENT, T&O and GP Practices.
The PAs have a life science or allied health degree and have completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Physician Associate studies at university. As qualified PAs, although not doctors, they will have been similarly trained to the medical model in order to carry out many of the day-to-day activities normally performed by medically trained staff, including the management of complex disease.
PAs are able to:
- Take a patient’s history
- Perform examinations
- Undertake a variety of procedures
- Investigate, diagnose and treat many conditions
- Work with patients, relatives and other healthcare professionals to optimise care
- Facilitate a safe and efficient discharge from hospital
Becoming an employed PA
Physician Associates are qualified Medical Associated Professionals (MAPs) who have completed an MSc or PGDip in Physician Associate studies. This is a two year intensive, full time medical education programme, which is a condensed version of the MBChB undergraduate course and is available to graduates with previous health sciences degree.
In order to become an employed PA at MFT, as well as graduating you have to pass the national Physician Associate examinations, run by the Royal College of Physicians on behalf of the Faculty of Physician Associates (FPA). You would then need to gain registration with the FPA prior to employment. You can apply for jobs whilst you await registration.
PA Students at MFT
At MFT we provide clinical placements for PA students studying at the University of Manchester (UoM). Click here for the course details/entry requirements.
You will also find a list of other course providers on the FPA website.
If you would like further information on the programme, please contact the below team through PhysicianAssociates@mft.nhs.uk
- Marylyn Dickinson, Associate Director of Medical Education & Non-Clinical Lead for PAs
- Dr Cara Hendry, Cardiologist & Clinical Lead for PAs
- Chelsey Clarke, MFT Lead PA
- Rachelle Walker, Operations Manager for PAs
- Jismy Vellakunathu Kunjachan, Senior Administrator for PAs
The Faculty of Physician Associates at the Royal College of Physicians – https://www.fparcp.co.uk/