Registering the birth of your baby

Arrow In this section

Where to register your baby’s birth

The registration of births in the UK is overseen by the General Register Office (GRO). In England and Wales, you must register your baby’s birth in the district where your baby was born within 42 days (six weeks) of the birth.

All birth registrations are by appointment only. You must phone one of the Register’s offices to make an appointment.

You may also find it helpful to check the website for the Manchester, Salford or Trafford offices for additional information.

If you can’t get to the district where your baby was born, you can go to any register office and the registrar will send your information to the appropriate district office. The birth certificate will be sent to you from there.

You can register the birth at any of the following locations:

Manchester Register Office

Heron House, 47 Lloyd Street, M2 5LE, Tel: (0161) 235 5005

Trafford Register Office

Sale Town Hall, Sale Waterside, M33 7ZF, Tel: (0161) 912 3026

Salford Register Office

Civic Centre, Chorley Road, M27 5DA, Tel: (0161) 909 6501

Longsight Surestart Children’s Centre

1 A Farrer Road, Longsight, M13 0QX, Tel: (0161) 248 1500

Rusholme Surestart Children’s Centre

Great Western Street, Rusholme, M14 4HA, Tel: (0161) 227 3171

Harpurhey Surestart Children’s Centre

Upper Conran Street, M9 4DA, Tel: (0161) 205 0830

Gorton North Surestart Centre

St James CE School, Stelling Street, Gorton, M18 8LW, Tel: (0161) 245 7001

Benchill Surestart Children’s Centre

22 Lyndene Road, M22 4PZ, Tel: (0161) 998 7280


Who can register your baby’s birth?

If you were married to your baby’s dad at the time of the birth or conception, then either you or your husband can register the birth. However, if you are not married to your baby’s dad, but would like his details to be on the form, then you will both need to sign the birth register together. But if one of you cannot attend, then the other parent must show the registrar a declaration of parentage. You can get one of these forms from your registry office.

If you’re not married, or you’re not in a relationship with your baby’s dad, you can choose to register your baby’s birth on your own. If you do this, the dad’s name will not be included on the birth certificate or in the birth register, although it may be possible to re-register at a later date.

Same-sex couples

In order for male couples to be registered as parents, you must first get a parental order from the court. You will need to do this whether you are in a civil partnership or not.

Female couples can have both of their names registered on the birth certificate. However, the rules are different depending on whether you are in a civil partnership or not.

If you are civil partners, you or your partner can register the birth on your own if all of the following applies:

  • You or your partner had your baby from donor insemination or fertility treatment.
  • You were in a civil partnership at the time of your baby’s birth.
  • You or your civil partner are your baby’s legal parent.

If you and your partner are not in a civil partnership, you can both be named on the birth certificate if:

  • You were treated together in the UK by a licensed clinic.
  • You have made a ‘parenthood agreement’ together.

You must then register your baby together, complete a declaration of parentage form, or get a court order declaring parental responsibility. The form or the court order must be presented by you or your partner at the birth registration.


What you need to do at the birth registration

When you register your baby’s birth, you will need to inform the registrar of:

  • Your baby’s date and place of birth (and the time of birth if you had twins or triplets).
  • Your baby’s gender.
  • Your baby’s full name.
  • Your own details, including date and place of birth, occupation, and address.

You must be absolutely sure that the information recorded in the birth register is correct before you sign it, so check it carefully once the registrar has written it all down. The details on the birth register can be hard to change once you have signed it.

The birth certificate

There are two types of birth certificate; the short version, which contains only your baby’s details, and the full version, which also contains all of your details. Once you have registered the birth, your baby will be issued with a short birth certificate free of charge. You can buy further copies, as well as a full version of the certificate, at any time you like.