The Greater Manchester Immunology Service (GMIS) provides a service to clinicians and general practitioners within Greater Manchester and the North West.
The laboratory is a UKAS accredited testing laboratory No. 8195 and operates to the high standards demanded by this organisation.
The laboratory service is led by Dr Tomaz Garcez, Consultant Immunologist, and a laboratory manager.
The department also provides a clinical service and is assisted in its delivery by three specialist nurses.
The department can be defined by the following quality indicators:
- The largest immunology department in the North West of England
- Senior scientific staff with over 30 years of experience of working in clinical immunology
- A well staffed department proactively developed and supported by CPD and academic courses
- State-of-the-art laboratory facilities and equipment
- The first immunology laboratory in the UK to install multiplex testing platforms dramatically reducing turnaround times
- Generation of high quality results as demonstrated by excellent quality assurance (NEQAS) performance
- The department is at the forefront of electronic requesting and reporting and can now exchange information directly with clinicians and GPs via the NPEX/X-Lab and ICE systems
- The laboratory offers a comprehensive test repertoire for the investigation of patients with immunological disorders
The four main areas covered include:
- haematological malignancy
Immunology is based in the Clinical Sciences Centre on the Oxford Road Campus. See detailed information on how to find us.
The laboratory is open from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).
There is no ‘on-call’ service, but if a result is needed urgently then contact the laboratory to discuss your requirements by telephone.
Greater Manchester Immunology Service
Division of Laboratory Medicine
Clinical Sciences Centre
Manchester Royal Infirmary
|Dr Tomaz Garcez – Clinical Lead||0161 276 6468|
|Dr Sara Drinkwater – Consultant Immunologist||0161 276 6468|
|Laboratory Manager (Vacancy)||0161 276 6442|
|Robin Lythe – Chief Biomedical Scientist (Informatics Lead)||0161 701 9418|
|Fleming Karikari – Chief Biomedical Scientist (Training Lead and Health & Safety Lead)||0161 701 1219|
|Hannah Holland – Chief Biomedical Scientist (Quality Lead)||0161 701 1219|
|Immunology secretarial support||0161 276 6468|
|Immunology clinical/nursing support||0161 276 6186|
|Immunology results hotline||0161 276 8766|
|Laboratory enquiries||0161 276 6440|
(Last reviewed July 2023)