Reports are available when all necessary tests have been completed, reviewed and authorised by a Consultant Pathologist. Verbal reports or clinical discussions can only be provided to qualified medical staff by Consultant Pathologists.
All report enquiries should be directed to the secretarial office in the first instance. The clerical and scientific staff in the laboratory cannot give out any information regarding results/reports.
Authorised Reports requested on HIVE are available HIVE EPR.
External reports are sent securely electronically.
NHS mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Users are requested to check if final reports are available in hospital notes, clinics or wards before making enquiries. Please note that clerical staff will not give report details over the telephone, but on request, authorised reports can be faxed to dedicated hospital fax numbers and General Practitioners.
- Urgent frozen section specimen arrival: Report within 20 minutes of biopsy specimen arrival in the laboratory
- Tumour specimens: Initial verbal report within 1 -10 days depending whether biopsy or resection
- Renal transplant biopsies: Initial verbal demonstration and discussion with clinician within 24 hours
- Rectal biopsies: Initial verbal report within 24hrs
- Non-urgent/routine specimens: Departmental rules: 70% of cases within 14 days, however, clinicians are encouraged to contact the pathologists to discuss complex cases. Specimens containing bone or teeth may take longer to report. RCPath Key Performance Indicators (KPI) target is to report 80% of all specimens within 10 days (except those requiring decalcification)
N.B. If the specimen arrives on a Friday the laboratory needs to be notified if an urgent report is required to ensure a member of staff is available at the weekend to process the biopsy.
The pathologists and technical staff are available by phone, e-mail or in person in the laboratory to give clinical or technical advice such as sampling requirements for specific samples. In addition there are regular clinical meetings.
Advice may be sought in the department during normal laboratory hours (08:30 – 17:30).
|Oncology MDT||Thursday 8.45 – 9:45h||MS Teams/Oncology Seminar Room|
|GI Meeting||Monday 11:00 – 12:00h||Oncology Seminar Room|
|Leukaemia MDT||Tuesday 14:00h – 15:00h||MS Teams|
|Muscle biopsy||3rd Tuesday of the month 16:00 – 17:00h||Oncology Seminar Room/Teams|
|Renal||1st Wednesday of the month 14:00 – 14:30h||MS Teams|
|Perinatal Mortality Review Tool||Ad hoc meetings each month||MS Teams|
|Fetal MDT||2nd Friday of month 14:00-15:00||NICU Seminar Room/Teams|
|Urology||4th Thursday every 2 months 14:30 – 15:30h||MS Teams|
|Mitochondrial||Quarterly/half yearly||Oncology Seminar Room/Teams|
|Surgical teaching session||Quarterly, Monday 10-11am||Oncology Seminar Room/Teams|
|Genetics Pathology/Radiology||Bimonthly 3rd Thursday 14:00-15:00||Genetics, 6th Floor, Seminar Room 1/Teams|
|DSD Clinical Meeting||Quarterly||MS Teams|
(Last reviewed May 2023)