Governor Elections 2018 - The Elected Voice of our members and the public, representing their interests and views
The results of the elections to the Council of Governors of Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (MFT) are now available.
Please see documents below:
Individual voting sheets for each contested seat are available upon request from the Returning Officer, Ciara Norris at Electoral Reform Services, telephone – 0208 889 9203 or e-mail – Ciara.Norris@electoralreform.co.uk.
The results were formally announced at our Annual Members’ Meeting (held on 25th September 2018) with newly elected and nominated Governors formally starting in office following closure of this meeting: visit our Membership Meeting webpage for more information about membership events.
More Information about the Role of Governor
Our Trust has 32 elected and nominated Governors with the majority of our Governors (24 out of 32) being directly elected from and by our members. All qualifying members that are aged 16 years or over are able to nominate themselves to stand for election as a Governor during the election process.
Governors are responsible for representing the interests and views of our members and the public, and seeking assurance from our Board of Directors. Governors also help us to shape the Trust’s future priorities and plans so to reflect the needs of the people that we serve.
In order to stand for election as a Governor, you must be:
- An eligible member (public or staff) of our NHS Foundation Trust
- Aged 16 years or over
- Public Governors must live in the area that they represent
- Staff Governors must have a job role in the staff class that they represent
- Governors also need to meet our Governor Criteria
However, you do not need specific qualifications for the Governor role, other than a commitment to representing members (public and staff) and the wider public, to the best of your ability. An induction programme and on-going training is provided to Governors upon being successfully elected/nominated.
Click here for further information about our Governor Elections and Role and if you would like to discuss these in more detail, please contact Donna Beddows, Foundation Trust Membership Manager, via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0161 276 8661.
Become More Involved – Stand for Election as a Governor
All our members are equal, but the Trust recognises that some members may wish to become more involved in the life of our NHS Foundation Trust than others. One of the biggest ways that you can get involved is to put yourself forward to stand for election to our Council of Governors. You do not need specific qualifications for the Governor role, other than a commitment to representing constituents (members and the public) to the best of your ability. An induction programme and on-going training is provided to Governors upon being successfully elected.
Become a Member
We are committed to establishing a truly representative membership and welcome Members and Governors from all backgrounds, religions, beliefs, race, colour, gender, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, age, social or economic status or national origin. If you are not currently a Member and are interested in becoming one, please complete an on-line Membership Application Form or alternatively you can contact the Foundation Trust Membership Office (contact details below) for a paper form.
As part of the NHS membership application process, you will be asked to supply your personal data, with any data that you supply being used only to contact you about the Trust’s Membership and/or other related issues and will be processed for these purposes only, will not be shared with third parties and will be stored in accordance with the Data Protection Act. If you would like to discuss membership and/or if already a member, and the information that you supplied as part of your initial membership application process has changed or changes in the future, or if you wish to cancel your membership, please contact the Foundation Trust Membership Office:
Freepost Plus RRBR-AXBU-XTZT
MFT NHS Trust
Manchester M13 9WL
0161 276 8661
(office hours 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday; answering machine outside these hours)
Why are Governor Elections held?
The Trust holds Governor Elections each year to fill any vacant seats on our Council of Governors and/or to open up seats for Governor positions whose term of office is coming to an end. Our elections are run by an independent, external organisation and, at the start of the election process, an election timetable and associated formal notices are posted on this webpage. For contested seats, members then vote for the candidate(s) that they wish to be elected to our Council of Governors using the Single Transferrable Voting system.
Standing for Election as a Governor of our NHS Foundation Trust
Over the years, many of our members have been interested in standing for election as a Governor with some of their key motivations being outlined below:
- Passionate commitment to the NHS and to the Trust’s hospitals and the desire to make a difference.
- To make a positive contribution to ensure patients and carers get the highest quality of care at the Trust.
- To use their personal experience as a patient/carer to help improve standards of care quality and safety, and the care environment.
- To help the Trust respond to any challenges it faces e.g. finance, restructuring, increasing demand etc.
- To be a voice/advocate for what matters the most to patients and their families, and to the wider community.
- To be a voice/advocate for staff and share their perspective with the Board of Directors.
- To give a voice to particular communities/groups e.g. minority groups, people with learning disabilities etc.
- To use their skills (e.g. communication, finance, management etc.) in the service of others.
- To support the Trust in putting patients at its core and foster a culture of valuing and engaging staff.
- To bring an appropriate level of challenge to the Board of Directors (hold to account for the Trust’s performance).
If you would like to discuss the Governor role or election process in more detail, please contact Donna Beddows, Foundation Trust Membership Manager, via e-mail email@example.com or telephone 0161 276 8661.