Governor Elections 2017 - Be the Elected Voice of our members and the public, representing their interests and views.
The Trust gives notice that it is holding elections to the Council of Governors of the Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust.
Further details, including Governor seats to be filled are outlined below:
- Notice of Election – 2017
- Summary of Valid Candidates
- 2017 – Governor Election Timetable
- Candidate/Governor Election Information Pack including Frequently Asked Questions
- Governor Criteria
Our Trust has 32 elected and nominated (appointed) Governors with the majority of our Governors (24 out of 32) being directly elected from and by our members. All qualifying members that are aged 16 years or over are able to nominate themselves to stand for election as a Governor during the election process.
Governors are responsible for representing the interests and views of our members and the public, and seek assurance from our Board of Directors, with Governors helping us to shape the Trust’s future priorities and plans so to reflect the needs of the people that we serve.
Governor Elections 2017 – Governor Seats Open for Election
Elections are to be held for the following positions:
17 Public Governors in the following Public Constituencies
- Manchester – 7 vacancies
(public constituency map for Manchester)
- Trafford – 2 vacancies
(public constituency map for Trafford)
- Eastern Cheshire – 1 vacancy
(public constituency map for Eastern Cheshire)
- Rest of Greater Manchester – 5 vacancies
(public constituency map for Greater Manchester)
- Rest of England & Wales – 2 vacancies
(areas that fall outside of the above constituencies are captured in the Rest of England & Wales Constituency)
7 Staff Governors in the following Staff Constituencies
- Non-Clinical and Support – 2 vacancies
- Other Clinical – 2 vacancies
- Nursing & Midwifery- 2 vacancies
- Medical & Dental – 1 vacancy
The nomination process has now completed (please see above ‘Summary of Valid Candidates’) – should any nominee wish to withdraw their nomination, they must put this in writing to the Returning Officer by 5pm on Monday 23 October 2017. The Returning Officer for these elections is Ciara Norris of Electoral Reform Services (contact details below):
Telephone: 0208 889 9203
Post: Electoral Reform Services Limited, The Election Centre, 33 Clarendon Road, London. N8 0NW
For all contested constituencies, voting will open on Tuesday 7 November 2017 with voting closing at 5pm on Monday 27 November 2017.
Important Membership Information
In keeping with the Trust’s Constitution, outlined in Rule 27, taken from NHS Provider’s Model Election Rules:
27. Eligibility to vote – An individual, who becomes a member of the corporation on or before the closing date for the receipt of nominations by candidates for the election, is eligible to vote in that election.
Therefore, new member applications are currently temporarily on hold until the election closing date of Monday, 27thNovember 2017 at 5.00pm following which membership application status will be confirmed by the Foundation Trust Membership Office. Any membership queries in the meantime, should be directed to the Foundation Trust Membership Office (details below).
The regulations governing this election can be obtained from Electoral Reform Services Ltd (address as above).
The Independent Scrutineer for these elections is Electoral Reform Services Ltd (address as above).
The Returning Officer for these elections is Ciara Norris of Electoral Reform Services Ltd (address as above).
Become More Involved
All our members are equal, but the Trust recognises that some members may wish to become more involved in the life of our NHS Foundation Trust than others. One of the biggest ways that you can get involved is to put yourself forward to stand for election to our Council of Governors. You do not need specific qualifications for the Governor role, other than a commitment to representing constituents (members and the public) to the best of your ability. An induction programme and on-going training is provided to Governors upon being successfully elected.
We are committed to establishing a truly representative membership and welcome Members and Governors from all backgrounds, religions, beliefs, race, colour, gender, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, age, social or economic status or national origin. If you are not currently a Member and are interested in standing for election as a Governor, please complete an on-line application form or alternatively you can contact the Foundation Trust Membership Office for a paper form:
Freepost Plus RRBR-AXBU-XTZT, MFT NHS Trust, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL
By Phone: 0161 276 8661 (office hours 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday; answering machine outside these hours)
Standing for Election as a Governor of our NHS Foundation Trust
Over the years, many of our members have been interested in standing for election as a Governor with some of their key motivations being outlined below:
- Passionate commitment to the NHS and to the Trust’s hospitals and the desire to make a difference.
- To make a positive contribution to ensure patients and carers get the highest quality of care at the Trust.
- To use their personal experience as a patient/carer to help improve standards of care quality and safety, and the care environment.
- To help the Trust respond to any challenges it faces e.g. finance, restructuring, increasing demand etc.
- To be a voice/advocate for what matters the most to patients and their families, and to the wider community.
- To be a voice/advocate for staff and share their perspective with the Board of Directors.
- To give a voice to particular communities/groups e.g. minority groups, people with learning disabilities etc.
- To use their skills (e.g. communication, finance, management etc.) in the service of others.
- To support the Trust in putting patients at its core and foster a culture of valuing and engaging staff.
- To bring an appropriate level of challenge to the Board of Directors (hold to account for the Trust’s performance).
If you would like to discuss the Governor role or election process in more detail, please contact Donna Beddows, Foundation Trust Membership Manager, via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0161 276 8661.