This section details information for the requesting of investigations, specimen requirements and communication of results for the department of Paediatric Histopathology. Paediatric Histopathology is situated in 4th Floor Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
Our department deals with approximately 4000 surgical cases and around 400 autopsies annually. Our department comprises approximately over 25 medical, scientific and ancillary staff. We have IBMS training status and support local universities in the training of Biomedical Science students.
The laboratory offers a full range of histopathology techniques for children. These include:
- Routine diagnostic histopathology
- Enzyme histochemistry, including muscle histochemistry
- Fluorescent In Situ Hybridisation (FISH) for soft tissue tumours and neuroblastomas (turnaround time of 3-4 days)
- Immunofluorescence for Renal Biopsies
- Electron microscopy via the electron microscopy suite in Clinical Sciences Building
- Molecular diagnostics (turnaround time 3-7 days) via Genetics 6th floor St’Mary’s
- Non-gynae cytology- we perform a limited range of tests: to detect the presence of malignant cells, eosinophils, lipid or haemosiderin laden macrophages within fluid samples from paediatric patients. Please note we do not perform cell counts.
(Last reviewed February 2019)