The MMMP is a UKAS accredited medical laboratory No 8393 and 10175. The MMMP has been assessed by UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) and is accredited in accordance with the recognised international standard ISO 15189. This accreditation demonstrates technical competence for a defined scope and the operation of a medical laboratory quality management system.
The schedules (8393 for MFT and 10175 for UKHSA) of accredited tests can be found on the UKAS website.
Quality assurance schemes such as EQA and IQA help make sure the department’s high quality standards are maintained. The results sent out by this laboratory are of the highest possible quality. To this end we have a Quality Management System (QMS) and participate in the UK National External Quality Assurance Scheme (UKNEQAS) and Quality Control for Molecular Diagnostics (QCMD) for a wide range of microbiological investigations. UKNEQAS/QCMD are central organisations that operate on a country wide basis and monitors our performance regularly by sending simulated samples for analysis. Where EQA schemes are not available, interlaboratory comparison is arranged with other laboratories.
An experienced consultant team offers support to clinicians and service users 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The team provides information related to using the service, interpretation of test results and clinical advice on therapy, prophylaxis and immunisations.
Training is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) for biomedical scientist specialist training, and by the Royal College of Pathologists for medical training. We also support Manchester Metropolitan University, delivering training in biomedical science and have a long-standing relationship with the University of Manchester for research and development and post-graduate training and supervision.
Quality policy of the Manchester Medical Microbiology Partnership
The Manchester Medical Microbiology Partnership (MMMP) is collaboration between Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (MFT) and United Kingdom Health Security Agency (UKHSA). MMMP provides Clinical Diagnostic Microbiology and Virology services, including Molecular Diagnostics and Genomic Sequencing, and is committed to providing a high quality clinical, analytical and advisory service. Specialist services on site include the UKHSA Meningococcal Reference Unit and the UKHSA Vaccine Evaluation Unit. A full list of accredited tests can be found at UKAS Schedule of Accreditation.
MMMP aims to take into account the needs and requirements of its users and other stakeholders and to operate in a safe manner for staff, visitors and patients. In order to ensure these aims are met the MMMP will:
- operate a quality management system designed to integrate the function of the organisation and its processes, procedures, resources and safety
- provide a framework for establishing and reviewing measurable quality objectives and plans in order to implement this quality policy in line with the objectives of the Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (MFT) and United Kingdom Health Security Agency (UKHSA).
- consult with users on a regular basis to ensure their needs and requirements are met
- ensure that all personnel are familiar with this policy and the quality manual
- review the quality policy for suitability and effectiveness at the annual management review
- commit to the health, safety and welfare of its entire staff. Visitors to the department will be treated with respect and due consideration will be given to their safety while on site
- commit to promoting a culture of continuing quality improvement
- uphold professional values and be committed to good professional practice and conduct.
- maintain confidentiality of information and records of service users, staff and patients.
- consider environmental legislation and guidelines in its plans and operational policies.
- ensure there is full recognition of diverse needs, circumstances and concerns of all staff, visitors and patients with respect to the Equality Act
The MMMP will comply with ISO 15189 and is committed to:
- providing a high standard of service for stakeholders, and national screening programmes.
- staff recruitment, training, competent staff, development and retention at all levels to provide a full and effective service to its users
- the proper procurement and maintenance of such equipment and other resources as are needed for the provision of the service
- the collection, transport and handling of all specimens in such a way as to ensure the safe and correct performance of laboratory examinations and the safety of our staff and the general public
- the use of examination procedures that are fit for purpose and will ensure the highest achievable quality of all tests performed within the resources available
- reporting results of examinations in ways which are timely, confidential, accurate and clinically useful
- the assessment of user satisfaction, by the use of regular clinical liaison meetings, satisfaction surveys and face to face meetings with external users
- ensure ongoing evaluation and improvement by the process of internal audit, external quality assessment and by the identification of non conformities with procedures and standards
- take into consideration the needs and requirements of patients by liaison and surveys of patient groups wherever possible.
- Identify and manage risks appropriately
Signed on behalf of the Manchester Medical Microbiology Partnership:
Dr S Thomas
Head of Service
(Last reviewed March 2023)