All samples must be accompanied by a completed and matching sample request form. This includes samples requested via ICE at MFT.
Please ensure all fields of request forms are completed. See help on completing ICE requests below.
Download the Non gynaecological cytology request form for all other sites including the Oxford Road Campus. Alternatively, we can supply bulk request forms on request.
It is not acceptable for multiple tests to be requested on a single sample/form, thus, if cytology, biochemistry and microbiology are required then each department must be sent a separate sample (with cytology also receiving a request form). Guidance can be obtained via the DLM Sample Acceptance Policy.
All specimen containers must be clearly labelled with:
1. Patient’s full name
2. Date of Birth
3. NHS and/or Hospital/District number
4. Specimen type (non-gynaecological)
Requesting a non-gynaecological cytology test via ICE
Patients needing non gynaecological cytology exfoliative cytology investigations at MFT may have their tests requested via ICE. It is mandatory to print and send a request form with the sample. For fine needle aspiration samples, please complete the request form.
If a sample requires multiple tests, then they will need separate ICE forms for each sample being sent for the required test.
For fine needle aspiration samples at The Christie hospital, please complete the request form. All other sites please request using ICE if possible.
To request CSF, serous fluids including peritoneal washings, urine, cyst fluids, bile duct and bronchial samples, request investigations via ICE as follows:
- Log onto ICE and select ‘requesting’
- Enter patient details
- At request screen, select ‘laboratory medicine’ which is located on the top bar, 3rd from left
- Select ‘New Cell Path” which is located on the left bar, 7th from top
- Select ‘non gynaecological cytology’ located on the right under Cytopathology.
- Choose any radiological guidance and enter sample type and site as directed.
- Accept and ‘continue with request’ located bottom left
- Complete all fields, especially ‘global clinical details’
- Review, proceed with request and print request form
- Send to the Cytology department via porter. Do not send any samples via the pod system.
(Last reviewed January 2021)