All samples must be accompanied by a completed and matching sample request form. This includes samples requested via ICE at Central MFT.
Please ensure all fields of request forms are completed. See help on completing ICE requests below.
Download the Non gynaecological cytology request form for all other sites including Central MFT. Alternatively, we can supply bulk request forms on request.
It is not acceptable for multiple tests to be requested on a single sample/form, thus, if cytology, biochemistry and microbiology are required then each department must be sent a separate sample (with cytology also receiving a request form). Guidance can be obtained via the DLM Sample Acceptance Policy.
All specimen containers must be clearly labelled with:
1. Patient’s full name
2. Date of Birth
3. NHS and/or Hospital/District number
4. Specimen type (non-gynaecological)
Requesting a non-gynaecological cytology test via ICE
Patients needing non gynaecological cytology exfoliative cytology investigations at Central MFT may have their tests requested via ICE. It is mandatory to print and send a request form with the sample. For fine needle aspiration samples, please complete the request form.
To request CSF, serous fluids including peritoneal washing, urine, cyst fluids, bile duct and bronchial samples, request investigations via ICE as follows:
- Log onto ICE and select ‘requesting’
- Enter patient details
- At request screen, select ‘laboratory medicine’ which is located on the top bar, 3rd from left
- Select ‘Cellular Pathology’ which is located on the left bar, 7th from top
- Select ‘non gynaecological cytology’ located in the middle
- Select 1 label and enter sample type and site
- Accept and ‘continue with request’ located bottom left
- Complete all fields, especially ‘global clinical details’
- Review, proceed with request and print request form
- Send to the Cytology department via porter. Do not send any samples via the pod system.
(Last reviewed February 27th 2018)