Laboratory opening hours
The laboratory is open:
Monday to Friday: 8.00am – 5.00pm*
*Outside of working hours contact the on-call Biomedical Scientist through Switchboard (0161 276 1234) for urgent requests)
Saturday: 8.30am – 12.30pm
Sunday: 8.30am – 12.30pm
The total workload is approximately 600,000 specimens per annum.
For clinical advice during normal working hours (Monday to Friday): Tel: 0161-276-8788/8854
- For MFT users please check the ICE interface for results in the first instance.
- General culture results are available 24 hours after specimen receipt (at the earliest), and sensitivities usually after a further 24 hours. For samples such as blood cultures and CSF, the Microbiologist will usually inform the clinicians of initial significant results as soon as they are known.
- Internal users, please refer to the antibiotic guidelines, in the first instance, for the commoner microbiology enquiries. Please refer to Trust antimicrobial guidelines via the intranet homepage
- New or junior doctors should discuss queries with their own clinical team, before calling the Medical Microbiologist.
- For Medical Microbiology advice for the more complicated cases, the Medical Microbiology team should be contacted on 0161-276-8788/8854 via switchboard.
- For Infection Control advice alone, the Infection Control Nurses can be contacted on extension 64042 or via switchboard.
- Clinical advice on Mycology results/problems is available from Dr A Dodgson (0161) 276 6010 or Dr K Dodgson (0161) 276 5746
Additional tests can be requested on all samples by contacting the laboratory, and providing an additional request. Most samples are stored for a maximum of 7 days, although it must be recognised that used samples will have a limited volume and for some tests old samples may influence the culture results.
All urgent results will be telephoned when requested or if there is a clinically significant result. A Microbiologist or BMS will contact the requesting ward.
For other results/enquiries during normal working hours: Tel: 0161-276-8788/6333/4306
The Microbiology out-of-hours service is an emergency service.
A limited number of investigations are offered out of normal laboratory hours (ie. 17.00 – 08.30 weekdays, 12.30 to 08.30 Saturdays, and 08.30 to 08.30 Sundays and Bank Holidays) where urgent results are required. The duty BMS can be contacted through hospital switchboard (0161 276 1234).
The following tests are available as appropriate:
- Paediatric Emergency Admission urines Children <3 months old
- Paediatric Emergency Admission urines Children >3 months old with a Dipstick positive for Leucocytes or Nitrate. CSF (Cell Count & Culture) Samples requiring TB investigations cannot be processed out of hours.
- Ascitic / Peritoneal Fluid (Cell Count & Culture)
- Joint Fluids (Gram stain & Culture) Crystal investigations are performed by Histopathology, cell differential performed by Cytology (separate sample and request required)
- Sterile Fluids from all areas will be considered for processing after discussion with the BMS on call, samples requiring investigations that require lone containment level 3 working will not be performed.
For urgent out of hours processing of samples adopt the following protocol:
- Call the Biomedical Scientist (BMS) on-call, via the switchboard after you have collected the specimen.
- Transport of the specimen to the laboratory in a timely fashion is the responsibility of the ward, not of the BMS on-call and should be via the portering system or pneumatic tube.
Contacting the MMMP
Contact details for infection services
Manchester Medical Microbiology Partnership (MMMP) main telephone: 0161 276 8788
Option 1: Microbiology and Virology Results and General Enquiries (Routine Hours- 8:30 – 17:00pm)
Option 2: Virology (Routine hours- 9:00 – 17:00pm)
1. To notify urgent specimen for Virology within routine working hours
2. For Virology medical advice within routine working hours
Option 3: Microbiology (Routine Hours- 9:00 – 16:45pm)
1. To notify urgent specimen for Microbiology
2. Medical Advice for the Oxford Road, Trafford or Wythenshawe sites
3. Medical Advice for Tameside Site via switchboard
Option 4: Out of Hours
1. Virology or Microbiology On-Call Services via switchboard
2. Tameside Site via Switchboard
Option 5: Vaccine Evaluation Unit / Meningococcal Reference Unit clinical advice (Routine Hours- 8:00 – 17:00pm)
Option 6: Wythenshawe specimen tracking advice (Routine Hours 8.30 to 17:00pm)
Out of hours contacts
Contact via the hospital switchboard Results service Please check for results on ICE-desktop or Chameleon before calling as results are updated onto these systems in real time. General culture results are available 24 hrs after specimen receipt (at the earliest), and sensitivities usually after a further 24 hours. New information for specimens is usually available by 11.30am.
For ‘special’ samples such as positive blood cultures and CSF samples the microbiologist and/or virologist will inform the clinicians of initial significant results as soon as they are known.
Sending specimens to the laboratory Microbiology and virology samples are ordered by clinicians using ICE-desktop. Notify the lab in advance if samples require urgent processing, eg CSF samples.
Samples from Trafford are transported to the microbiology laboratory daily. Results will be available as above. Clinical Infection Advice from Microbiology and Virology
The clinical microbiology team is available for routine advice 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. We advise on infection queries from the Oxford Road and Trafford sites. During these times you can expect to speak with a microbiology registrar, Clinical Scientist, or consultant covering clinical queries. An on-call microbiology registrar, Clinical Scientist, and/or consultant are available out-of-hours via switchboard.
The telephone advice service can have busy periods. If your query is about empiric antibiotic choice, make sure to consult the antimicrobial guidelines to see whether the answer to your query can be found before calling.
Please note that we have a daily microbiology handover on weekdays between 11.15am and 12.15pm and if you have an urgent enquiry during this time you can contact the on-call microbiology consultant via switchboard.
Microbiology, normal hours 9am – 5pm: Ext 66333
For specialist virology advice, see contact details here Out of hours Microbiology and Virology, via switchboard
When calling for microbiology advice, please have up-to-date information about your patient to hand, including the following:
- Date and reason for admission
- Current clinical problem list and question for infection team
- Overview of recent observations, blood results, scan results and dates
- History of antibiotic courses given during this admission
- Details of known antibiotic allergies
- Overview of relevant microbiology results and culture sensitivities (important when calling microbiologist out-of-hours)
When calling out-of-hours, junior medical staff should consider whether the query can be resolved through discussion with senior members of your team. If the query cannot be resolved, the senior clinician should decide whether the case should be discussed urgently with the on-call microbiologist or whether non-urgent cases can be discussed the following morning.
|Name||External Numbers||Internal Numbers|
Dr Stephanie Thomas
Head of Service, Consultant Medical Microbiologist
|(0161) 291 4754||14754|
Dr Kirsty Dodgson
Clinical Lead, Consultant Clinical Scientist
Deputy Infection Prevention & Control Doctor
|(0161) 276 8841||68841|
Dr Rajesh Rajendran
Associate Medical Director (Infection Prevention and Control) & Clinical Head of Division for Laboratory Medicine and Consultant Medical Microbiologist
|(0161) 276 4185||64185|
|Dr Andrew Dodgson
|(0161) 276 6010||66010|
Dr Ahmed Qamruddin
(0161) 276 4282
|(0161) 701 5953||15953|
|Specialist Registrars’ Office||(0161) 276 6333||66333|
UKSHA Regional Head of Laboratory Operations/
Head BMS MMMP
(0161) 276 4420
(0161) 276 5747
|(0161) 701 4703||14703|
Deputy Laboratory Manager
|(0161) 701 5208
(0161) 276 4909
Deputy Laboratory Manager
(0161) 276 3577
(0161) 276 3577
Deputy Laboratory Manager
|(0161) 276 3577||63577|
|Hospital Switchboard||(0161) 276 1234||0|
(Last reviewed March 2023)