It is important that the entire Histopathology Request Card is completed in full and gives the laboratory all the patient and clinical information required to appropriately process the material sent. Errors or omissions of mandatory fields will result in the delay in specimen processing and reporting.
To comply with our specimen acceptance policy, the laboratory can only accept samples where all mandatory information and minimum patient identifiers are provided.
- Patient Name (Surname and First Name)
- Patient Date of Birth
- Patient address (for specimens arising from external users)
- Unique identification number – district for Central site, EMPI for Trafford, NHS or external hospital number for external cases
If these are not all provided or the card and pots do not match, the clinician or an appropriate member of staff will have to come to the department and correct the mistake.
It is also very important that the following details are filled in on the request card:
- Risk status (by completing the mandatory risk assessment field on the request card)
- Specimen site – must match on specimen pot and request card
- Relevant clinical information – to ensure all necessary investigations are performed, gestation date and LMP for gynaecological specimens
- Lung cancer – For any sample where there is a clinical concern for lung cancer (primary or metastatic), please ensure details of smoking (never/light smoker or current/ex-smoker) and performance status (WHO 0 1 2 3) are recorded on the request form in the clinical details section.
- Contact number/Bleep number of clinician sending the specimen. This information is imperative for frozen section live reporting
- Ward, Department and Consultant to whom the report should be sent
- Consent – fully completed PS1 form and gestation date or LMP for early pregancy tissue specimens with clear indication of cremation or burial wishes.
- Date and time taken – essential to ensure proper fixation of all specimens
(Last reviewed 21st September 2017)