The list below shows those analytes that are provided on an urgent and emergency basis. Samples requiring these tests and labelled as 'Urgent' will usually be analysed and reported in 60 to 120 minutes from receipt in the laboratory. If results are required very rapidly for the immediate treatment of a patient, or if you wish to send a sample for arterial blood gases and pH, please contact the laboratory to let us know that the sample is coming.
Adults: Tel 0161 27 64375 or bleep 2722
Paediatrics: Tel 0161 701 2233 or bleep 2001
Requesting urgent analyses
The following analytes are available at any time:
- Liver Profile (Total profile, albumin, ALP, ALT, total bilirubin)
- Methaemoglobin (in heparinised bottle if not sent with blood gas)
- Blood gases
- Renal Profile (Sodium, potassium, urea, creatine, AKI, e-GFR. Chloride and bicarbonate included for paediatrics, e-GFR only if height provided)
- Creatine Kinase
- Troponin T
- Quantitative BHCG (blood pregnancy only)
- Bone profile (Albumin, calcium, adjusted calcium, ALP, phosphate)
- Lipid profile (Cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL, calculated LDL. Must be fasting sample for full profile)
- Thyroid profile (TSH and free T4, other tests are added if necessary by laboratory clinical scientists)
- Iron profile (Iron, Transferrin and iron saturation)
- CSF (Total Protein, Glucose and Lactate)
1. You must arrange transport of the sample using the portering service, pneumatic tube system or ward staff.
2. Results of these tests are available in between one hour and two hours of receipt of the sample in the laboratory.
3. The pneumatic tube must not be used for transport of blood gas samples.
4. DO NOT send blood gas samples to the laboratory with the needle attached.
(Last reviewed November 2018)